• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wanabee looking for a test ride in coastal NE

Albin's "power cruisers"
Wes Keyes
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: York Maine

Wanabee looking for a test ride in coastal NE

Post by Wes Keyes »

Hello Folks,
I am hoping someone with an A25 or A27 might give me a short test ride. Recently i have been looking at 2 boats for sale near me. I am switching from a sail boat to a power boat. I usually cruise the Maine coast. I live in York. Maine. If you are willing to give me a ride please give me a call or email me. Thank You.
Wes Keyes
York, Maine
207 363 5338
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Wanabee looking for a test ride in coastal NE

Post by Beta Don »

I really *wish* I had been as smart as you

I came from a lifetime in sailboats, bought an A27 which had not been in the water for several years, spent a TON of time and money replacing the engine and most every system aboard, installed a small diesel genset and air conditioning, extended the hardtop aft 8 feet to cover the cockpit and THEN found out it was not a bad river/lake/bay boat but was not suited at all for coastal cruising . . . . it bobbed around like a cork in a moderate chop which would hardly affect any decent sailboat of similar size and was a really wild ride in anything more than a moderate chop

Live and learn!

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

to be fair though a sailboat is similar only in length...take away the stabilization of the full sail and a ballasted centerboard, keel or other below water scheme and that boat will be all over the place as well...everything is a trade off. (and like sailing an Albin can be better with course plotting that takes on the concept of "tacking" with current and wind conditions..straight ahead is not always the best route for comfort and safety}
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

coolchange wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:09 pm to be fair though a sailboat is similar only in length...take away the stabilization of the full sail and a ballasted centerboard, keel or other below water scheme and that boat will be all over the place as well
Oh, I agree, 100%. A 27' sailboat would also be narrower and carry it's beam less far forward and less far aft and have much less usable interior volume

But if you're buying a boat to venture away from land by even a few dozen miles, you would want something which handles poor weather and sea conditions better than my A-27 did

If I had taken it on a suitable test ride prior to purchase, I would have taken it off my short list of boats I was considering to do coastal cruising in, for sure

I think Wes is very wise to 'try before you buy' and I certainly wish I had done so as well

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Hi Wes,

I live in Dover, NH and usually keep my Albin 27FC on a mooring in Dover. However, this year I rented a slip at the Portsmouth Shipyard so I'm not too far away from York. Unfortunately, the engine is overheating, but I plan on working on it tomorrow. The thermostat and impeller have been replaced, but it's still running hot; tomorrow I'm going to try and remove/clean the heat exchanger.

If I can fix it, I would be more than happy to take you out.

Regards,
John

M/V Nirvana
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

All the above is true about snap rolls in beam seas. However there are a few A25's set up as motorsailers or can have sail rigs added, light rigs with 21 foot masts, roughly equivalent to a Catalina 22 mast, that allow use of a riding sail. Just a mast alone helps dampen roll rate. Doesn't make it a true sailboat by any means but helps. We've ridden out 2 & 3 foot chop & up to 15 knot winds without problem. Not the most comfortable, but the A25 can handle as much as you can stand.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Wes, I’m hoping to launch my 25 Saturday, it was good talking to you on the phone Sunday morning.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Wes,

I'm still having issues, but finally reinstalled my heat exchanger and will go for a test run this Friday. If all goes well, I would be more than happy to take you out.

John
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JFOkie »

Wes,

I have now had to remove my water pump as I'm still having issues. Maybe I'll be able to actually use the boat by next spring.

If I can get a pump fairly soon, my offer to take you out still stands.

Regards,
John

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”