• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Tacho acting weirdly

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Tacho acting weirdly

Post by DCatSea »

Went out for few hours today for a run into the Choptank, and all went well; even the weather gods played nicely. However, I noticed that the tachometer did not appear to be providing an accurate rpm count (based on my "ear"). It was fine for the morning, apart from sticking on startup, I revved to 1000 and it registered. Seemed to be fine up to around 1500 rpm, but wouldn't register above 2000 on a "speed run". This is on a 4D61.

I am a tacho-virgin, so any ideas on what might be the issue? Any and all suggestions are, as always, welcome.

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: Tacho acting weirdly

Post by TorreyWP »

If I understand the tach arrangement on a 4D61 correctly, the signal for rpm is fed by a pick up in the alternator, usually a gray wire for tach signal.

First, check to make sure the alt belt is tight, because its not registering at higher rpm, the belt could be slipping. Other than that it could be the pick up which is a component of the alternator or the gauge itself.

Hopefully its just the belt, keep us posted!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Torrey; great advice. I'll be going down for a look later in the week, and will let you know what happens.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Doug, I have exactly the same setup as Torrey described above on my Nissan and had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was a loose belt. Be careful to not overtighten it, about 1/2" deflection is correct. Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Ben - I'll be going down to have a look on Thursday, once the Engine Room has cooled down to 100 degrees. The belt was renewed late last year, so it probably needs adjusting by now.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”