• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

wood stain

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

wood stain

Post by saltshaker28 »

does anyone know what color stain and who makes it for a 2002 28 te my cabin wood needs some touching up
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: wood stain

Post by DCatSea »

This is a question that encourages me to say something like "make sure you get it right" if you don't want to go slowly crazy when you look at the mismatch.
Our '84 27FC was the victim of numerous attempts by POs to re-do/fix the wood color (and there is quite a lot of it in the wheelhouse) with varying success and almost the full range of minwax colors.
I have almost "finished" (is that ever the case?) sanding and re-staining the wheelhouse wood, (not in the cabins), and will be moving on to exterior (handrails and trim etc) once I have the new canvas covers being made by our niece. All the wheelhouse wood is now one color, except for the hatch cover which is lightly "striped" for effect. I used "Gunstock" stain because we tried a lighter color last year, but decided we wanted a richer effect than the usual "golden oak".

I'll post some pix for comment asap.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

i think the wood on my 28 te is cherry
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

If you are happy with the cherry, you might try a "natural" stain in a usually unseen place, to see what it brings out in the way of graining and shadowing. If you are pleased with the result "lay on with a will" to bring it all into one gloriously similar shade. Lesson learnt: read instructions and wipe stain down with a clean cloth after a few minutes. If you want it darker, add more but wipe it down once the color has developed..
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltshaker28 »

thanks i will give it a try