• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hynautic bleed

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Hynautic bleed

Post by rebuckley »

OK - these may be dumb questions - and probably expose that I really have no clue what I am doing, but, my steering seems to be very "loose" - the helm seems to take many more revolutions to go full over than I thought. My assumption is low pressure/air in my hydraulics. I did download the hynautics manuals in our document folder - both the install and the bleed guide. They seem straight forward. However - as I am not at the boat (and this may be an obvious answer if I was) - what do I need to add air pressure to the system? Is it as simple as a bike tire pump or do I need something more specific?
Since I am assuming some kind of leak - I have gone over most of the system and not found the culprit yet, but would assume as I fill and pressurize it that may become apparent.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Hynautic bleed

Post by DougSea »

No air. Air is bad! The system isn't pressurized, rather the helm station in the system, like your car brakes, compresses the hydraulic fluid with a form of piston, which transfers the movement from the wheel to the rudder actuator. If the fluid gets low (the most likely scenario) air gets into the lines. Because air is MUCH more compressible than the fluid it diminishes the pressure going to the ram. The bleeding process that I've followed involves uncapping the helm reservoir, adding fluid to the top, and then turning the wheel back and forth to remove the air in the lines. Keep topping off and turning until the fluid level stays stable.

(For a demonstration of the overall principle - take a full, capped water bottle and try and squeeze it. You can't do much because water isn't very compressible. Now empty it most of the way, cap it, and squeeze again. That's what is going on in your steering lines.)

EDIT - So...what I said above applies to most of the newer Albins. Apparently the Hynautic steering system has a pressurized RESERVOIR. According to this post I found you can use a bike pump to pressurize it after making sure the reservoir is at least half full. Sorry for any confusion!!

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/gen ... ystem.html
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Thanks, yes I think my system is the older version similar to the one in the link you provided. I figure it was a bike pump for the res. I did see I am a little below the "fill line" and the pressure gauge is zero (but not sure the gauge is still functional). So I will depress, add oil, repress and then work the helm and recheck oil level. I am thinking it may be due to the AP installed a few seasons ago, possibly it was not fully refilled at that time...I still cannot see any leaks, but will check once pressure is back up
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

res gauge image.jpg
res image.jpg
SO it does seem that the oil amount and pressure in the system was the issue. topped off the oil as in the manual and gave it the bike pump to about 30 psi. ran though all of the systems (except the AP which I still need to run the purge on to be sure) and some of the oil from the res stayed in the system - - not very much - maybe 1/8" drop in the res. Digging through my old files - I also found a manual for my hynautic - which is larger system than the one we have in our document library - and a different process. I will scan that in. My reservoir - has 4 sight glass bubbles on the side and a front read gauge - vs the one in our library which has 2 and a top read gauge. Found the bleed screws in the lazarette behind the stbd water tank. So far no leaks or drop in the pressure - knock on teak....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Glad that all worked out...now how about bringing her to the NE Rendezvous and show us all how this works! I see from your avatar that you're not too far away. :) At the very least you should plan on stopping by on Saturday.
Doug
Sonny IV
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

You got me there Doug, I am so close I have no excuse! Jay is one of the only members I have had the pleasure to meet out on the water, so the admiral and I have been discussing it!
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

We’re a pretty fun group! Come on down!! :)
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Albin Maintenance”