• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27FC rudder support skeg

Albin's "power cruisers"
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

Post by realtorknox »

I have an '86 FC with wood support for the rudder post and am thinking of replacing with either wood or aluminum channel. There are a couple of questions. 1.) When the support post is removed from the rudder post, will the rudder drop? If the wood support breaks under power, will I lose either the rudder or steering? Any recommendations from owners who have changed materials or can shed some light on the issue would be appreciated. Thanks, Randall, "Manatee" North Fort Myers, fl.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A27FC rudder support skeg

Post by Beta Don »

I don't think your wooden skeg is a 'rudder support' - It's for sure not there to provide elevation support to the rudder and your rudder should not drop at all when you remove it. I suspect it's there to prevent bending the rudder shaft in the event of a grounding

Rudders and their configuration on A27's changed through the years. Early models didn't have anything connecting the bottom of the rudder to the keel - There's not even the notch in the keel for the skeg like you have on your boat. The rudder itself was a very thick, heavy fiberglass thing and it looked more like a sailboat rudder than a powerboat rudder. On m'y '84, the rudder shaft was a hollow, fairly thin stainless tube about 1 1/4" in diameter and I was worried that an accidental grounding might bend it and disable the steering. I added a stainless channel (made up of a 1 1/2 by 1/4 flat bar with 1/2" stainless welded beneath it on either side) bolted to the keel and attached at the rudder with a 1/2" bolt that I put in my fiberglass rudder at the pivot point

Several here have replaced their wooden skeg with various materials. If you boat mostly in salt water, I think stainless would be preferred to aluminum, but aluminum would probably be OK in fresh water - Put a big zinc on it either way. I would say either is preferable to wood . . . . but then your wooden one has lasted more than 30 years and that may not be true if they had installed an aluminum one from the factory

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

Post by realtorknox »

Thanks Don, big relief. My concern were some holes bored in the wood which I saw when lifting out for the summer. I didn't notice them when I purchased the boat in January of this year. She is in salt water for 6 mos. per year and the holes are probably sea worms as the wood appears solid when I probed with 1/32 drill. Any suggestions on what to apply as a sealer? Thanks again. Randall, A27 "Manatee" No. Ft. Myers,fl.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Telicop River near Vonore, TN

Re: A27FC rudder support skeg

Post by tego »

Randall, The '87's went to a fiberglass shoe. I think I'd sand and glass-coat mine if it were wood and then keep bottom paint on it. Solid metal is an excellent option also- I'd recommend ss over aluminum as it's stronger . I'd also keep a zinc on it. Ben '87 27FC

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”