• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

paint my cabin

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

paint my cabin

Post by Sunsetrider »

I need to paint the cabin interior. one coat of Kiilz but if anyone has painted their cabin I wonder what kind of paint is best to use for the finish coat.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: paint my cabin

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I've heard good things about Rustoleum urethane marine deck paint. I used one part Interlux Brightsides on my wheelhouse hard top. But I imagine any quality interior gloss or semi gloss might do.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Used latex interior paint after adding an anti-mildew component. That was in the hull interior
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I used Interlux Brightside White to paint mine. Used a good quality paint brush to cut in the corners and trim. Used a 3" roller for the open areas. If you wear glasses wear an old pair or cover them with goggles. It gets a little fumy in the quarter berths so be careful.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I think I am hearing quality latex semi gloss with an anti mildew component, once I figure out just what that is. I used a one part epoxy like Brightsides on the decking but I don’t think I need that level of paint inside the hull. I need to cover what I suspect is some kind of mold over the full surface ( not including the ceiling area that has a different texture) that is making the cabin seem dirty. We have scrubbed with Magic Eraser, next is a mild bleach rub down, then Killz, then the final coat. Then hope enough curtain clips have survived the trauma of removal to get the curtains back up.

The crack in the bottom of the water tank is a nuther story. As is he failure of the Unique brand fridge freezer to reach temp.
Lordy
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Somebody recommended to me this primer and I used it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001NO9Q ... b_pd_title
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Use 50% vinegar to remove mildew and mold. Much safer, just as effective and smells better.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Vinegar it is.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

After yanking out the vinyl in our aft cabin and scraping off the adhesive and urethane foam I painted the entire aft cabin (except for gelcoat surfaces in the sole pan) with white, eggshell finish, bathroom enamel. It already has a mildew agent mixed for resisting the humid bathroom environment. It worked out very well.

Our head compartment will be next, then the forward cabin. The vinyl has not fallen loose as badly up forward as it had in the aft cabin.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I ended up painting the cabin - the areas around the windows etc - with one coat of Bulls Eye and then sprayed with the stone-look stuff per Hortense's thread. I suffered a little bit of overspray but nothing I can't live with. It looks a lot better than it did.
All vinyl has long disappeared from the aft cabin I have some rolled-up wool-carpet-like liner material, roughly pre-cut for the aft cabin walls, on board, sitting on the aft cabin shelves, but haven't had the heart to dig in to remove the lines of glue and whatever else gums up the walls. It's been 2 years now, still haven't gotten round to it, although I have covered the back wall with it. The easy bit.

Maybe if I still had kids I'd be motivated . . .
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

You mean to get out of the house?:). Wire brush will do it

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”