• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What is the name of your boat(s) and the story behind it?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

What is the name of your boat(s) and the story behind it?

Post by jcollins »

This is always a fun thread. List the names and post a pic of your boat if you have it.

1978 Sea Ray - Shaney Marie. Named after my wife Sharon Marie.

1987 SunRunner - Julia Sea. Named after my mom, Julia Collins

1969 Glastron - Froggy Bottom. This one was Sharon's. She collects frog stuff and the boat had green hullsides.

1995 Albin TE - Afterglow. The comfortable feeling following a pleasant experience.
I'm thinking of naming our dingy after-afterglow.

Image[/img]
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our boat is named Nordvika, which is the name of a small bay in the north of Norway, where our family is from, and where, coincidentally, I am scheduled to visit for the first time tomorrow. The name is actually exactly the same as the name of our last boat which was destroyed in a marina fire in August of 2005. This may be bad luck, but we loved the name so much, we just couldn't let it go, or belittle it by tacking "II" on the end.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Mariner wrote:Our boat is named Nordvika, which is the name of a small bay in the north of Norway, where our family is from, and where, coincidentally, I am scheduled to visit for the first time tomorrow. The name is actually exactly the same as the name of our last boat which was destroyed in a marina fire in August of 2005. This may be bad luck, but we loved the name so much, we just couldn't let it go, or belittle it by tacking "II" on the end.
Mariner,
Have a great trip "home".
John
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I puchhased my boat last year and the name on the transom was "Red Stripe". The boat has a green hull and a red stripe at the water line. so I just assumed the name was in reference to that line. A couple of weeks after I brought the boat home I went down and found a case of Red Stripe beer on board. I had never heard of that beer but there it was. By the way they bought me a full case of beer but by the time it got to my boat it was empty! Nice The hull has Awlgrip applied and the name and home port are beautifully painted on. I do not want to chance removing the name for fear of damaging the Awlgrip so I'll be happy with the name as is.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Denis,
Next time I drink a Red Stripe I'll think of your boat!
John
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Bought our first boat 'Bozzin N Cruizin' in 1982. These were the years BC (before children). At purchace the boat was a year old & already had the name. Why change it? The name matched the lifestyle at the time.

In 1986, 8 months after the first child, we bought our first Albin. This boat we names 'Veebye's'. The name is a play on how locals pronounce 'We Bye's' as in We People. It was bought for us as a family. Don't think another Veebyes will be found anywhere in the world. This Albin was part of the family for 13 years.

Growing children & unwavering boating habits of overnighting every weekend demanded a bigger boat. We saw our first A32 in 1989 but it was not till fall of 1999 that we got 'Veebye's 2'.

No plans for any more boats. The kids have their own social lives on weekends though they frequently visit us on the water. We consider ourselves to be living in maritime luxury in boating heaven.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Dmvollb1

name of boats and why

Post by Dmvollb1 »

We got our first boat in 1990, 21 ft Steiger Craft, LDK II, we named her that because all of our children were named after us Leo and Denise and our last son After his grandfather Kevin making them all the II's. We still have her. When we purchased our Albin 28 TE in 2005 she was named the Granny-Nan.
Putting our heads together we put both our mothers names together, in every different way we could think of and came up with Bonnie-Lou, same amount of letters as Granny- Nan and they are both Grandmothers and my mom is called Nan. So it worked out wonderfully. We got the old Renaming the boat ritual from a friend, preformed the ceremony to the tee, Do not want to get the gods of the waters UPSETand I think she will take real good care of us for a long time.
Happy Boating
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Tuxedo -
Because of the color scheme and the fact that I never had to own one until we moved to Charleston and got involved in the community and the associated black tie events.

Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
zelatore

Post by zelatore »

I can't resist a thread like this, even if I'm a little late to the party. My current boat name gets lots of questions: "Seven Dollar Shoes"

It's part of a line from a Todd Snider 'It's hard to kick the door down wearing seven dollar shoes'. I'm told it's a depression-era saying about how it's hard to get ahead if you don't come from money. Seems appropriate given that neither my long-time girlfriend nor myself came from lower-middle-class working families in the mid-west.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

South - kingdom of boys in grey, fought for states rights, Virginia home of the Capitol of the Confederacy. Grew up living and breathing Southern tradition.

South lost the war of northen aggression.....that just BLOWS....like the wind....

Hence the name....Southwind :wink:
Last edited by chiefrcd on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

My Albin30FC is named "katie G" following a longstanding Nova Scotia fishermen's practice of naming their boats after female family members using the first name followed by the first letter of the last name. In this case "katie" is my late mother's cat.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

My 31TE is named "Anne Rose". I took my daughters midddle names and put them together. The first picture was taken right after I bought her and hadn't yet removed the old name.

Last edited by SCHUTZEE on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

SCHUTZEE wrote:My 31TE is named "Anne Rose". I took my daughters midddle names and put them together.
Shutzee,
That's a good name. Post some pics of your boat in the pictures section when you have time.
Welcome to the board.
John
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

jcollins,

Thanks for the welcome. I just posted the photos.

Bob
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

After growing up in Maryland and living there until my mid 30's, I moved to Ohio for 27 years and always dreamed of returning and living on the Wye River, a beautiful tributary of the Chesapeake on the Eastern Shore. We finally did it last year and just purchased a new 28 TE. Hence the name. (The crab icon in the name represets two of our favorite pastimes catching them and eating them).
WYE DREAM........Just Do it !
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “General Discussion”