• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Helm chair for 27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Helm chair for 27FC

Post by ChrisP »

I would like to install a single swiveling helm chair on my 27fc. The one that's on there now is a bench style and is not original. I have to remove the whole seat to access the engine compartment. I want to get away from this and just have a standard captains chair with back rest and arm rests. What have you folks used?
I tried researching old posts on this site but it appears the posts that show details on this topic have been removed.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Helm chair for 27FC

Post by Beta Don »

I mounted a pair of them, one on either side of the engine bay, on my A27. Nothing too difficult about it - Find the seat you like and drill some holes. Mine used 8 bolts through the deck and I used large washers on the underside and aircraft locking nuts - All stainless of course

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I second Don's advice. Many flavors and prices of seats to choose from.

In my old 27FC, I installed a pair of helm seats from a newer Albin 35 flybridge, I think. Still, a simple pedestal mount as Don stated. I did have to buy taller pedestal bases though. Take a look:

IMG_0136.JPG
I later added foot rests to the pedestals. I believe they were from Garelick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Where are you located. My BIL is swapping his two pedestal seats for a bench in his A25 and may sell his pedestal seats
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Post by ChrisP »

I live in upstate NY near the Champlain canal but the boat is docked in Clinton CT.

Can anyone tell me the height of their pedestal seats? My bench seat is 36” and that’s way too high.

Thanks for the reply’s.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I was hoping to add the pedestal height to my post, but as you can see in my signature: "Former owner of...". It's been a while and I just can't remember but I think they were 30". They were a stock height, that I know.

I also added swivel/slider spiders to the seats. That adds another inch or so to the height. If you slide them back you can stand at the helm. Slide them forward and you don't have to reach for the wheel.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

My BIL is in Clyde NY. I’ll see him in a few days and get info
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

ChrisP wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:26 pm Can anyone tell me the height of their pedestal seats? My bench seat is 36” and that’s way too high.
"Way too high" as in 'difficult to get into and out of?' I can't imagine it being too high to give you adequate visibility looking forward

The helm chairs I bought had 34 inch pedestals and even though I'm 6 feet tall, they were a bit too low for good visibility, so I made a pair of plywood bases 2 inches thick to put between them and the floor. I stained and epoxied the bases and through bolted everything with 4 inch bolts

I'm just guessing, but I think if you install anything lower than the OE helm seat, you will pretty quickly wish you had that extra height back once you get used to using the new seat

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”