• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Raritan Electrasan MSD removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Raritan Electrasan MSD removal

Post by DCatSea »

After much thought I have decided it is time for our old and appallingly stinky Raritan Electrasan MSD to go.

I think it was installed by the OO, who may have lived in a pump-out free zone. I doubt if it has worked since at least 1997, doing nothing for the general ambience in the engine room. It's outta here! The Mddle Chesapeake is well found with pumping stations.

Question: it looks simple enough to remove and install new hoses to the holding tank and maybe through-hull (which I wont be using anyway), but if anyone has warnings or tips about removal of said device I would love to hear about them - I have long neoprene gloves, face masks galore, autopsy gel for my nose, disposable coveralls and an understanding marina with more than adequate trash disposal.

I look forward to your thoughts (and prayers) and to a lot more engine room space for ready-use stores and tools.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Re: Raritan Electrasan MSD removal

Post by JBrooks »

I had the Purasan version on my last boat and it should look like the one you have. Flush the system with water to get as much of the contents out of the holding mix box. Disconnect power to the unit. Close seacock connected to the outlet of Lectrasan Get a wet vac and slowly open the extra intake cover. See attached picture for what it looks like. You should have two intake inlets. Open the one not connected to a hose Slowly open the intake cover and have the wet vac ready. Open the outlet enough to get a steady stream of water. It will probably take 5 minutes to get all the water out. Don't fully remove the cover or the water will gush out.
The intake and outlet hoses are impossible to remove. I would cut them off.

I drained my every year during the winterization process using this method. Have bleach and some towels ready for any spillage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Raritan Electrasan MSD removal

Post by DCatSea »

Excellent advice - thank you. I'll be sure to take my trusty Wet Vac, a gallon o'bleach and a stack of Pig Mat to get any spills. Hope to have it all gone by e/o next week, then I can start bringing the ER into line a bit, and clearing my ready use stores into the new space.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “Albin Maintenance”