• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

After sea trail question about steering

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

After sea trail question about steering

Post by furball »

We completed the survey and sea trial today. I think things went very well with only a few small gigs that need taking care of, nothing major. The steering on the other hand is the one item I may be concerned about, but I'm not sure so I'd like your feedback. When the small nut on the steering column was removed, we couldn't see fluid or a reservoir on the back side. The steering felt very good heading out at 6 knots, heavier than my 30 year old Chris Craft but nice, like a new car. When we reached cruise speed, it beame much heavier. Both port and starboard turns required hand over hand movement to turn the wheel lock to lock, no palming the wheel and turning like the CC steering. Surveyor said it seemed a little heavy, try topping the fluid and try it again. Owner said it has been like this since new and there's no sign of a fluid leak anywhere. We addressed another problem first after the sea trial and then added fluid to the steering system. We added less than half an ounce and it was backing up into the funnel. Had to turn the wheel lock to lock a dozen times to get the fluid down to the bottom of the threads, hard over and replaced the nut. So, doesn't appear to a fluid level problem and I've never had my hands on an Albin wheel until today. Does this sound typical, hard or heavy to turn in either direction at cruise speed? Is it due to the keel? What could I look at next to determine if there is a more serious problem?
John
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

steering effort

Post by RicM »

Heavy steering is characteristic of single screw/rudder design. Think about it.water pressure from the prop pushes the rudder into the middle position. On an outboard the prop moves and pushes the wheel to the side.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Sounds like the steering was allot harder then it should be. Although at cruising speed it should be harder. It may be that there is some air in the lines. You will need to bleed them. Since you found some air in the resevoir I suggest that you do that. The manaul for the steering ram you have should have the directions on how to do it.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Steering

Post by Butch »

Heavy is the word and you will get use to it. Hope to see you on the water.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Same here...went from a 22 foot sport boat that would run 53 mph and turn on a dime to my 28 TE....thought I was driving a 1952 Dodge Duce and a half with standard steering. Tank-ish. Since then I've replaced the steering cylinder due to a leak and it didn't change a thing as far as the hard steering. You do get use to it....I think it's a combination of single screw, very large rudder as stated before and not a issue with your hydraulic steering system.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

chiefrcd wrote:Same here...went from a 22 foot sport boat that would run 53 mph and turn on a dime to my 28 TE....thought I was driving a 1952 Dodge Duce and a half with standard steering. Tank-ish. Since then I've replaced the steering cylinder due to a leak and it didn't change a thing as far as the hard steering. You do get use to it....I think it's a combination of single screw, very large rudder as stated before and not a issue with your hydraulic steering system.
Yup! Replaced my cylinder too. Inspect the rod coming out of it for leaks from the seal and at the other end too. Run your finger over the area.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I think you're just not used to the steering characteristics of a large diesel inboard. Low fluid in the hydraulic system acutally causes the wheel to spin freely, not be heavier. You don't "palm" the wheel in this kind of boat, so don't expect it to handle like your old I/O Chris Craft. Hand over hand turning of the wheel is perfectly normal.

It sounds to me like it's performing exactly how it's supposed to. Now, if you notice grinding, or it locks up on you, then you've got a problem.

The procedure you described for topping off the reservoir is exactly what it's supposed to be; top it off, turn it lock to lock, repeat until fluid comes out the cap.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

good point mariner. I notice my leaking cylinder because of a ratchety type feel at the wheel.
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Mariner wrote:I think you're just not used to the steering characteristics of a large diesel inboard. Low fluid in the hydraulic system acutally causes the wheel to spin freely, not be heavier. You don't "palm" the wheel in this kind of boat, so don't expect it to handle like your old I/O Chris Craft. Hand over hand turning of the wheel is perfectly normal.

It sounds to me like it's performing exactly how it's supposed to. Now, if you notice grinding, or it locks up on you, then you've got a problem.

The procedure you described for topping off the reservoir is exactly what it's supposed to be; top it off, turn it lock to lock, repeat until fluid comes out the cap.
What he said.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Edson Power knob

Post by Pitou »

When I first got my Albin the steering was something new to adjust to after coming from a twin outboard boat. To solve the hand over hand steering for big turns and bring quickness and ease back I installed an Edson Power Knob. A big help. Here is a link to their catalog page and if you go to the next page you will see all the available styles. These are pretty quite available. When I first got it I felt I should be in an early '70's muscle car.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/ecatalogs/power/00008.htm
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks, everyone. Mariner, you are correct, this is much more boat than I'm used to, definitely. My Chris Craft is single inboard gas with a larger rudder that the Albin, but is also much lighter. The rudder on our "soon to be" Albin is curved on the trailing edge, an Albin fix to address the starboard turn at cruise problem I've read about here. Sounds like the handling is at least close to the norm and now I have an idea of things to check. Just wanted some feedback before we signed the papers. Thanks again,
John
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

28TE steering

Post by fairtide »

I found that the 28 did not steer as quickly as my old 27, but as I became more secure with goosing the throttle in tight quarters I was able to slew the stern around with hard over rudder and quick engine bursts. In this way I am using the thruster less often. At low speed, the rudder is not very useful by itself in docking and other tight spots.
dowdster
Deckhand
Deckhand

Re: After sea trail question about steering

Post by dowdster »

I share similar experiences to most of the posts above - the Albin turns well at slow speed and takes quite a bit of effort to put it hard over at cruise speed. I pull friends behind the boat on a surfboard and when they fall, when I turn back to retrieve them, it takes me numerous boat lengths to get back to the same spot. I had pits on the hydraulic ram and rebuilt it. One question: the wheel still feels a little "lumpy" sometimes when I'm turning it -- meaning, it feels like it goes through easier and harder points as I continue to turn it. I've flushed the system a couple of times. Does anyone think this could be the result of "flat spots" on my helm pump?

Return to “Albin Maintenance”