• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Replace fuel tank for NSC 40

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gspier
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Replace fuel tank for NSC 40

Post by gspier »

I have finally sold my NSC 40, Kotij Hull #2 and had to replace the main steel fuel tank due to it leaking into the bilge. If there are any owners of NSC that have the fuel tank located between the engines and it has not leaked it will!! Doomed Chinese design, installing the fuel tank on top of fiberglass luan on top of the boat ribs. The chinese secured the tank by using 6"+ of open cell foam that got completely soaked from bilge not draining properly that rotted the tank from the outside in. Flawed design had to cut the old steel tank into 4 pieces just to remove it off the boat. New tank eliminated the luan attached it with special caulking directly to main ribs on the boat and mechanically fastened into place. Eliminated the reserve tank completely. Luther's welding in Bristol RI. fabricated a wonderful new aluminum tank that can be washed under and make sure bilge stays clean. Standish Boat yard and my construction crew worked hard to remove and re-install new tank. Repairs costs over $20,000 to complete, now only has 285 gallon fuel capacity. Great boats with some flawed designs. Not all of the NSC have this tank design. Some had two saddle tanks that eliminated this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NSC 40 Kot'ij

Return to “Albin Maintenance”