• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

No zinc on fuel cooler

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southern California

No zinc on fuel cooler

Post by Tom Un »

I bought a fixer upper (2000 - TE 28) and am going thru the zinks and my fuel cooler has no zink is that normal?
This was the most difficult item to remove so far - I have done all the other coolers no problem - (yes the inter cooler was was a pain but nothing compared to the removal of the fuel cooler.)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: No zink on fuel cooler

Post by rebuckley »

Tom -
I don't have the same model - but when I replaced all my cooling system, neither the oil cooler or the transmission cooler had a zinc. The only zinc in my cooling system was in the main cooler on the engine. When I replaced, I added coolers with zincs to the oil and transmission. As it is a single system (on my boat and I assume yours), I guess having multiple zincs would mean you don't need to change them as frequently. It may simply be overkill to have so many zincs......
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Tom Un wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:42 am I bought a fixer upper (2000 - TE 28) and am going thru the zinks and my fuel cooler has no zink is that normal?
This was the most difficult item to remove so far - I have done all the other coolers no problem - (yes the inter cooler was was a pain but nothing compared to the removal of the fuel cooler.)
Would be helpful to know what engine and also to see some pics of what you are dealing with......
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tom Un »

Rob - I have a 6LP-STE - I will take pics this weekend.
Also changing the stern bearing housing - what do you guys coat the mating surface with?
(I was thinking Rectorseal soft set or Alco Metalube)
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Tom,

Not the best picture but the fuel cooler zinc on my '04 can be barely seen in the top left. I usually get it out with a wrench and a lot of patience.

While you're down there, make sure there is no rust behind the injector pump (unlike mine) as Yanmar was nice enough to leave a steel oil plug in the block that will spew oil if it rusts through. It also costs a fortune to fix.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2004 28TE
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No zinc on fuel cooler

Post by Tom Un »

Thanks for the pic - I pulled the cooler and confirmed mine has no zink - see attached pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I would replace that fuel cooler with the unit that has the zinc port. The zinc port is not the only difference, it is constructed better. That one you picture is prone to failure. The zincs page shows the both coolers. The brackets are different too.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Tom Un
Gold Member
Gold Member