• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Glow plugs timer replacment

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

6S2344
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: FALMOUTH MASS.

Glow plugs timer replacment

Post by 6S2344 »

I need to replace the original glow plug timer on my Lehman 4 cyl. I have seen
that some owners have replaced it with what looks like an old type Ford solenoid switch?
Close up photos and or diagram would be great.
THANK YOU.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Glow plugs timer replacment

Post by kerrye »

Sorry no photos but I've done the same on my 6.5 GMC diesel. On the heavy terminals, wire from battery and wire to glow plugs on other side. Push button switch to the lighter terminals.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Curious to know the symptoms of glow plug issues. We are having issues with cold starts so guessing our glow plug needs to be replaced. We have a spare but not sure where it’s located to replace. Not sure if we have a timer but if you can share a pic, we can compare. Thx
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I think I might have a timer if you want one. I haven't seen it in awhile I took if off my motor. I just put a solenoid on mine with a push button on the dash. Now I just count to seven. Much simpler.
Mary Jo just unhook all your glow plugs. Put multimeter to beep when leads are touched together. Ground the black lead to the block. The red lead wire connects to top of glow plug. If it beeps it's good. Good luck getting them out without breaking them off. Be careful I've seen them use a torch on glow plugs on old diesels. To get them out.
Does everyone's 4d-61 smoke pretty badly when you first start it up till it warms up. Just wondering
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I'm a stickler for originality, but when my Lehman 4D61 timer went bad I replaced it with a solenoid. 30 year old marine electronics in a diesel's engine compartment don't seem to last like they used to!

The Bosch timer turns the glow plugs on for 7 seconds. I replaced it with a heavy duty solenoid with a push button switch on the dash and me muttering under my breath "one Mississippi... two Mississippi...".

About solenoids... Google "protection diode". 50 cents worth of insurance.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

We found out that we already had a solenoidbut it was just burnt out. It was a lawn mower type and wasn’t able to handle to load needed by the glow plugs. We have since replaced it with a Ford Glow Plug solenoid andazed howquickly she starts again....even with the Bomb cyclone! Thanks for the help!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “Albin Maintenance”