• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coolant hose modification - 4D61

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Coolant hose modification - 4D61

Post by Bearkeley »

The alternator belt on our 4D61 has rubbed against our hose, causing it to leak. Rescue tape seems to hold it for now but wanted to know if anyone has had success with replacing it. As I understand it from American Diesel, they no longer produce this hose. Thanks!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Coolant hose modification - 4D61

Post by kerrye »

Sorry, can't help you on the replacement hose, but I can add one thought. On my 123 and 126 diesel Mercedes there is a tendency for the motor mounts to collapse and cause the power steering belt to hit the oil cooler line. I protect the line with three strategically placed hose clamps around the rubber line so that if the belt hits it, the metal of the clamp will wear out the belt before the oil line is damaged.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

That is the one I never could find and a big problem. Is your water pump bearing good. You could have some wabel in it check that. I look at that clearance and wonder when mines going to go. I have a spare motor in my garage for parts with it on it. I could send it to you. Hopefully get you through your trip you could give it back when you get back. Let me know. I was also thinking get a flex hose and put on it. It would have to go out a ways. What about the real flexible white waste hose that bends real tight. Let me know
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Sprig1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 am That is the one I never could find and a big problem. Is your water pump bearing good. You could have some wabel in it check that. I look at that clearance and wonder when mines going to go. I have a spare motor in my garage for parts with it on it. I could send it to you. Hopefully get you through your trip you could give it back when you get back. Let me know. I was also thinking get a flex hose and put on it. It would have to go out a ways. What about the real flexible white waste hose that bends real tight. Let me know
Wow, Sprig, you are an angel! Thank you! We are hauling her out today for another issue and will talk to the yard about other options, but may just need to take you up on your offer if we aren’t successful. Wish us luck!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Good luck! Hope all the issues get sorted out. Just private message me with your contact information. It will be interesting to see what the yard has to say. Many heads are better then one.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

This link may help?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8904
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Hey Chris, as this seems to be the one hose that 4D61 owners have real problems with I wonder if it would be worth taking your spare to NAPA, AutoZone or similar, and seeing of they can match. The Lehman part # is 3K508 (Hose, Molded 1 1/2"). Maybe they have an alternative if given the opportunity to peruse the hose locker.

I'd be happy to do the running around when I get back from Oceanside (January). Let me know if this is an option.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Doug I'll try that. If not I think I can make one up out of two hoses. I think I saw one out metal in a picture. It can be done.
On the 4d61 engine water pump when I put the hose in question on I lined up the hose clamp with the water pump pulley so if that ever happened it would rub on the clamp first. Hopefully give you a little more time to notice it but probably not. Just hopeful
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Our issue was caused by the coolant expansion tank being pushed down by the hatch cover insulation, along with a loose belt, causing the hose to get too close. Waiting for confirmation, but seems like the yard plans to put some sort of coupling. Will be in touch soon (hopefully)!
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Update - Part 1: Boat yard completed the repair (Sprig, you are off the hook! Again, thank you for your offer!). His fix was to put a 90 degree bronze fitting to move the hose away from the belt and a coupler. We will post pictures next week when we get to the boat.
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bearkeley »

Update Part two...modification worked well! Here are some pictures as promised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”