• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Low rpm loaded but good rpm unloaded at wot

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rbsangus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis

Low rpm loaded but good rpm unloaded at wot

Post by rbsangus »

Hi all,

Looking for a little assistance on possible issues with a Yanmar 6LPA-STP in a 2002 28TE. In a nutshell, the engine is stabilizing around 3400 (cross checked with strobe) at full power loaded. Boat makes about 20.5 knots at WOT. Form what I can tell that is probably an accurate speed for 3400 rpm.

Book on the motor says 3800 should be max loaded at WOT. To answer a few questions up front:

-the throttle cable and throw does allow for movement all the way to the max stops (although governor lever is about 1/4 inch from stops when reaching 3400.....last 1/4 inch of movement on governor lever creates no change inrpm).
-engine makes book numbers at WOT unloaded (stabilizes around 4100.,,,again cross checked with strobe)
-bottom is clean
-engine just had brand new turbo professionally installed due to black smoke and extremely low rpm.
-no black or white smoke at WOT loaded or unloaded (a little stem above 3000 but nothing excessive).
-high speed stop bolt on governor is still wired from factory

Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks. From my basic knowledge and a little reading I'm looking at 2 possibilities:

-boat is over propped (i.e. Governor is commanding max fuel but reaching less than book WOT loaded numbers due to load)
-boat isn't getting enough gas (i.e. Fuel solenoid isn't fully open or maybe air getting into fuel line)

Any input would be appreciated before I start turning a wrench and wasting time chasing non-issues.

Thanks in advance,

Roy
Roy S.
2002 28 TE Bon Accord
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Low rpm loaded but good rpm unloaded at wot

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I would look at your prop first that's IMO the likely reason
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Running the same engine and probably the same ratio transmission as yourself I see 21knots at 3850 rpm swinging a 19 x 19 x 5 cup propeller. Swinging a 20.5 x 19.5 x 3 cup will see me about 23-24 knots depending on laden weight. Have you suddenly lost rpm or has it always been like this?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
rbsangus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rbsangus »

Thanks. To be honest I don't know if it's always been that way.....just got the boat. Survey was reading low rpm at wot but it was explained as a throttle cable issue. Now know it's not that.

Will keep the power back a bit till we pull it for the season then get a good look at what prop is on it.
Roy S.
2002 28 TE Bon Accord
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

rbsangus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 pm ......Survey was reading low rpm at wot but it was explained as a throttle cable issue. Now know it's not that.
Explained? By who?
And why "explained" and not "investigated and confirmed" ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

rbsangus wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 pm Thanks. To be honest I don't know if it's always been that way.....just got the boat. Survey was reading low rpm at wot but it was explained as a throttle cable issue. Now know it's not that.

Will keep the power back a bit till we pull it for the season then get a good look at what prop is on it.

Well, what did you find out?
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
rbsangus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rbsangus »

Update...was 100% prop issue. Not sure why but the previous owner had a 21 inch prop on the boat with a big pitch on the blades. Got a new 19x19 put on and boat hits all the numbers now.
Roy S.
2002 28 TE Bon Accord

Return to “Albin Maintenance”