• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Changing the intercooler Zinc on a 2007 28TE Flush Deck Newport

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Richmond,CA

Changing the intercooler Zinc on a 2007 28TE Flush Deck Newport

Post by ksquared »

Hi All,
Just did a Rydlyme flush on the engine but I was unable to figure out how to change the intercooler zinc (went ahead and did the flush with it in place). There's just no room between the zinc and the floor. So do i have to remove the end cap or swing it down enough to change it out? After blowing hoses, I talked to my mechanic and he recommended doing the flush and with the instruction from this board it was a success (I think, haven't ran the boat yet).

Any advice would be great.

Hoping the photo comes out so you can see. OldDemps stated you can remove insulation for access but I don't have insulation above the zinc. If I do need to remove the endcap, do I need to consider anything special or just undo the 3 hex nuts holding it on.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... 0TzZBf7ktp
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Changing the intercooler Zinc on a 2007 28TE Flush Deck Newport

Post by RobS »

The end cap will come off as you state but that is not the issue. Re-assembly of the intercooler should include pressure testing. You do not want to chance any leakage between the seawater side and air side. I would not remove the end cap in place. Pulling the intercooler for a full service (see link below) should be on "the list" but probably not in the cards for right now I presume. Gary (gcmarshall) just did this nice pictorial (see link below) on a Flush Deck where he shows that zinc is tight but doable. You can cut the new pencil zinc length down to aid in getting it in put then tighten up your service interval. That zinc always lasted long comapred to the other smaller ones, especially the heat-ex.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10190&hilit=zinc

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/yanmar-a ... intenance/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ksquared »

Thanks for The response. I did follow Gary's post as much as possible. But the clearance is really minimal for the intercooler, the big zinc. Once the brass cap is unthreaded I can barely lift it to see the zinc.

Kevin
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

What is above it? Can you cut in a small access hatch, deck plate, etc ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ksquared »

I think the options are either cutting a small piece of the deck away so at least I can angle the zinc in or take the end cap off to replace it.

I did talk to my mechanic and he needs to see it. But I plan on a service in January, his thoughts were the engine should be ok until then since that intercooler is above the water line.

He recommended getting a borescope and looking at the coolers, which I did. And for 30 bucks it was worth every penny. Got to see the before and after the Rydlyme.

Here are pictures using a borescope through the zinc hole for the oil cooler (before and after).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ksquared
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ksquared »

FYI-after doing the Rydlyme flush, the intercooler zinc was still present (since I can't take it out I can't assess the condition). But had another zinc that broke off from the cap and the Rydlyme completely dissolved it.

The engine is running 10-15 degrees lower than before. Since this is my first diesel engine, I thought normal running temp was 180 but now it's running about 165-170.

Will do a final update after my service in January, to comment on how the mechanic gets the zinc out of the intercooler.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”