• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vetus Bow Thruster

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Barbados

Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by gcmarshall »

My bow thruster stopped working a few months back, and I am now getting around to it. It is a Vetus 55 unit.

The propeller had broken, so I initially just figured it got caught, broke, and the motor blew a fuse. Now I am looking at it, the wiring had corroded and broken in several places (the 4 small wires going to the thruster), the 20 amp fuse in the thruster was corroded, etc..
I removed the thruster, and rewired it. I took out the brushes, and they appeared fine.

I thought I should be able to turn the shaft by hand in either direction, but I was unable to do that...

When I put it back together, it actually works fine in one direction, but nothing in the other direction. I swapped the control wires going to the thruster (to ensure it wasn't a wiring issue) and that didn't work....so I think the issue is with the thruster. I can carry it to a local starting motor place, but thought I would check here first...

Any ideas?
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Did you check the solenoids? Before I had it rebuilt I would look at them and make sure they are opening an closing correctly given the amount of corrosion you were dealing with
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

If the motor turns one direction the motor might be fine. I just googled the brand and here is the typical wiring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Agreed on the motor maybe being OK. I had a bad solenoid AND a bad switch.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Sisu22 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 pm Agreed on the motor maybe being OK. I had a bad solenoid AND a bad switch.
Is the replacement solenoid something you sourced from Vetus directly? or is it more of a generic part that your local "starting motor place" replaced?
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Oh man. It was a pain to find. I didn't even try to go with Vetus - I found an NOS switch off of eBay based on the part number I found on the side of the solenoid. Can you post pictures of yours?
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Hmmm..... I guess it might be easier, but more expensive to contact Vetus for one.

Here is the pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

That looks a bit different from mine, but the solenoid is similar. Mine was Curtis Albright SW822-50P reversing contactor relay switch
gcmarshall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by gcmarshall »

Sisu22 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:27 pm That looks a bit different from mine, but the solenoid is similar. Mine was Curtis Albright SW822-50P reversing contactor relay switch
Thanks! Will look it up.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”