• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mixing Elbow - Cast vs SS - Thoughts?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Mixing Elbow - Cast vs SS - Thoughts?

Post by rebuckley »

This is off the Lehman 120 Diesel - After pulling the entire cooling system off - and replacing the exchanger - as well as all the hoses (using Am Diesel hose kit) - I was looking at the mixing elbow, and think it needs to be changed out at the end of the season.
Looking on-line, and listening to the old salts on my dock - I heard all about Stainless Steel vs Cast as an option for the elbow.
Just curious - any thoughts - positive or negative - on these? I think I am leaning to the Stainless variety, but not 100% sold yet and would be open to thoughts.
Reb
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Mixing Elbow - Cast vs SS - Thoughts?

Post by Tree »

I've just swapped out my cast iron ones for my yanmar 6lp to stainless ones from HDI Marine. For
Me it was a no brainer as the cost of the kit for both elbows was less than an OEM mixing elbow and the quality is superb. The kit came with everything including the heatsheild, heat wrap, gaskets and clamps.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I replaced mine a few years ago and went with cast iron.
Not sure why I made that choice however.....
The real problems were:
1) one of the bolts snapped off inside the manifold. I could not get it out so I had to take the manifold off (very heavy) and take it to my son's shop. It took him less than a minute to get it off with his torches.
2) I had to remove the manifold anyway because the end surface where the elbow mounted was rotted about 1/8 of an inch. So I had it milled off flat. Any automotive machine shop (or any machine shop) can do that.
Don't try to use epoxy to make it flat it won't last.

I only mention this because you may run into the same problems. You should wait until the old unit is off before ordering parts as you may need some additional gaskets.

Good luck!
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Post by rebuckley »

Thank You -
Jay - yes my biggest fear are the bolts snapping off - it looks like the elbow has been replaced in the past (as the on in there has ADC stamped on the side - which I assume is Am Diesel). Hopefully it will come off smoothly - hence my waiting to be hauled in a month or so before I take on the task.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”