• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Corrosion in fuel tanks on 32+2

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ipswich, MA

Corrosion in fuel tanks on 32+2

Post by zeke46 »

Hello,

Our 1998 32+2 is out of the water and awaiting an unexpected engine replacement. The old engine has been removed.

I am not looking for trouble, especially with the cost of a new (manufactured) engine ahead, but has anyone had corrosion issues in the fuel tanks with this model boat? The fuel tanks appear fine and have not presented any issues, but, with the engine currently out of the bilge, now might be the time to lift the tanks up to check them. Of course, they're full, so the diesel would have to be pumped out first!

Again, I'm not looking to spend money. I'm quite skilled at that on my own. However, I'd love to hear from owners with this same model and if they've had corrosion issues with the fuel tanks.

Thanks.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Corrosion in fuel tanks on 32+2

Post by Jeremyvmd »

while not a 32+2 on my 28te (also a 98) when I had my motor out they found a pinhole leak in the tank. Would be worth having them tested as the manufacturing methods and materials for the two boats tanks where likely the same
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

My 2000 32+2 has corrosion on top of both tanks from water splashing in through the side air intakes, and dorade boxes not well maintained or repaired prior to my tenure as owner (they were in pieces, neither was intact). If I was replacing my Cummins, I would certainly take the opportunity to test or replace the tanks if there was any question about their integrity.

My condolences on the unexpected boating hiatus!
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm while not a 32+2 on my 28te (also a 98) when I had my motor out they found a pinhole leak in the tank. Would be worth having them tested as the manufacturing methods and materials for the two boats tanks where likely the same
Thanks for the input. Did you have your tank repaired or replaced?
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Dr Luke wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 am My 2000 32+2 has corrosion on top of both tanks from water splashing in through the side air intakes, and dorade boxes not well maintained or repaired prior to my tenure as owner (they were in pieces, neither was intact). If I was replacing my Cummins, I would certainly take the opportunity to test or replace the tanks if there was any question about their integrity.

My condolences on the unexpected boating hiatus!
The tanks look good from what I can see, but considering the age of the boat, there could be corrosion I don't see.

Thanks. Summer is too short as it is in the NE, never mind when the boat is hauled in August. I'm still holding on to a small hope of getting her back in for a month.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

zeke46 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:43 am
Jeremyvmd wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm while not a 32+2 on my 28te (also a 98) when I had my motor out they found a pinhole leak in the tank. Would be worth having them tested as the manufacturing methods and materials for the two boats tanks where likely the same
Thanks for the input. Did you have your tank repaired or replaced?
Had it replaced with new tank of thicker construction. Also moved pickups and such to make servicing the tank easier in the future.
My tank from the top looked 100% ok. Wasn't till motor was pulled that the pin holes were found
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
zeke46
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zeke46 »

Thanks.
RobS