• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

230 hp Volvo diesel with a Duo-Prop™ stern drive.

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

autoteachersonny

230 hp Volvo diesel with a Duo-Prop™ stern drive.

Post by autoteachersonny »

How many problems would one run into with this model drive train in a well used Albin 28? I have never heard good reports in other salt water boats. We are looking for an Albin 28, older under $50K. Please share your wisdom and experience with a newbie to this type boat, We sailed for 19 yrs and trawler liva board for 11 Yrs.
Thanks for all. Ready to buy the right boat even before we sell our trawler. We bought a house in St James City Florida.
Autoteachersonny
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: 230 hp Volvo diesel with a Duo-Prop™ stern drive.

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Not many of them were made. Major benefit would be the shallower draft because of the lack of a keel. Honestly can't help you more than that!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
autoteachersonny

Post by autoteachersonny »

Thanks!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The boat will be better on fuel since it has no keel - not sure what it would be like on the anchor or drifting.

Only thing to really watch out for with the AD series engine is the exhaust outlet as that is cast aluminium but there is a simple fix for that and the oil coolers have a tendency to let go unexpectedly as they are also aluminium bolted to a cast iron engine.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I would suggest you take a 28 Albin inboard for a ride and the IO model for a ride and see the difference. There is a reason they made very few of the IO models.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

As most, I'm not a big fan of I/O drive boats. As stated before there were very few sold and they're far from the mainstream of those that seek or own Albins.

If you do pursue this drive be sure to get it far, far, far below the value of similarly equipped and aged Albins as the day you sell you will also find that the market pool of buyers that would consider the hull with this drive is very, very, very small and a major perceived price concession will need to be made to attract a buyer. I'd be thinking of the future as well as today.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”