• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission work , CT/RI area

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Transmission work , CT/RI area

Post by rebuckley »

Hi, my transmission seemed to have overheated and dumped its contents on my trip back from Block. I am pretty sure I have a cooling issue, which I am in the process of fixing, but now may have a transmission issue as well. Any recommendations in the CT/RI area for work on a Borg Warner Velvet drive transmission? I want someone to look at, assess and rebuild or replace if need be. Thanks, Reb I am going to post this in the Classic 36 forum also.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Transmission work , CT/RI area

Post by jleonard »

http://www.marinetransmissions.info/AboutUs.html

Atlantis Marine Gear in Topsfield, Ma is local to you and the regional Velvet drive distributor. They can repair but you have to bring/send it to them.
They are good, they helped me out a lot when I rebuilt mine several years ago.
The tranny is not difficult to remove, you'll just need another body to help you lift it out should you choose to do that yourself.
Any marine mechanic can also do the R&R and send it out for rebuild.
Once the tranny is out you SHOULD also replace the damper plate. 3 bolts to remove and the plate should cost less than $200.
I have the rebuild manual in pdf if you need it.
Hope this helps
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Thank you Jay! Great seeing you at Block last week - wish we had more time!!!
I did download the manual at some point - 3 actually - the Borg Warner pdf, Service and an Installation Manual.
I was thinking that with the tranny off, I would look at the damper plate - but as you say - I will just replace now too. I thought of that after looking at the American Diesel website.

Thank you and hope to be out there soon!!
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Reb, There is also Whitford Marine in Old Mystic. He tested my tranny after I rebuilt it and gave me lots of good info.
Not sure if he still rebuild them, he is pretty "experienced" (read that old) but he is still in business.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Yes,Experienced, but his son is a bit of a #%^,,,Definately deal with the elder Whitford,wiser and nicer,,,,good luck,,
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Pedro wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 am Yes,Experienced, but his son is a bit of a #%^,,,Definately deal with the elder Whitford,wiser and nicer,,,,good luck,,
LOL, I remember dealing with both of them back in the 90s. I didn't know junior was back doing marine. He quit for a while to be an aircraft mechanic...guess his "tude" wasn't welcomed.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

Actually I left a note at the shop, Whitford did our generator a while back. I think his son is at Noank Shipyard, last I heard.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

SO - I did visit Whitford - he is still running the store in Mystic, but not doing any heavy lifting work. I talked to a few Trawler owners in the area and got led to Breakwater Marine (Portland, CT). I have seen them locally as they do many of the covers on the boats where I get hauled out. So far - they have been awesome - they came right away, pulled the tranny out and have it back at their shop for rebuild. They also work very closely with Atlantis Marine Gear (he offered that information before I told him) as I was planning on having him pull it and I would run it to Mass. But he has a close working relationship with Atlantis, and sources all his Borg Warner parts from them - so that boosted my confidence.
They plan to have the installation done early next week - I will update as the job is completed.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Sounds good Reb! Its always better to have some basic info instead of going in blind.
Let us know how it goes when your back up and running.
Formerly
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Great, I was going to use Breakwater for some work on my boat but I was able to get it done myself, good to know that they are a good resource, let us know how it all works out,, good luck!
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

So - Breakwater did a great job!! The transmission I have is an older Borgwarner that they do not make parts for anymore. Through his contacts at Atlantic Marine (a Borg Warner shop in Mass.) he was able to get all the parts. Love it - the engine room looks brand new (as I took time to deep clean and paint bilge while the tranny was out). I replaced the entire cooling system - as I think that was the original problem that killed the tranny. I did not put the exchanger or oil cooler in (as they would be in his way) - his guys hooked them up once they installed the transmission. Excellent communication - I heard from him almost daily via email. All around - very happy with the work!!
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jleonard »

Great to hear!
Formerly