• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shore 1 power fault please help

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach NY

Shore 1 power fault please help

Post by SJR »

Made a 200 nm hike up to Nantucket, as of this morning our "shore 1 " tripped and will not reset. "Shore 2 " is working fine.

I started the generator to test both shore 1 & 2 and both work fine.

I've chexked the power pedistal on shore and also checked both connection coming into the boat , (reversed them etc) and shore 1 remains unable to regain power. Is there a fuse that has tripped that I cannot find?

I was making coffee when the stove tripped and subsequently found ou the the top shore 1 power tripped as well and wolnt come back on line

Any help would be great and always very much appreciated

Scott
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Twin Yanmar 315HP 6-LPAM STP
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Re: Shore 1 power fault please help

Post by Serenity »

Will your circuit breaker toggle stay in the on position or does it revert back to off?. If so, you might have a defective main breaker. The other thought might be your power inlet may have corrosion or a loose terminal. Pull it out and inspect the integrity of the connection. It appears you have already isolated the circuit that us creating the problem.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SJR »

The breaker will stay in the on position to the right however nothing. No red light , no power , thoughts ?
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

SJR wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am The breaker will stay in the on position to the right however nothing. No red light , no power , thoughts ?
Check the "Main Breaker" under the cockpit deck on the bulkhead in between the port fuel tank and the generator. The easiest access will be through the center deck hatch above the rudder. Once down below, you'll see two gray waterproof electrical boxes containing the "Main Breaker" for Line 1 and Line 2. This is done in order to meet ABYC distance standards.

Let us know how you make out.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
SJR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SJR »

Kevin! Can't thank you enough, right on the nose. This community is so impressive and I am so greatful to be a part of it. Coffee will taste better tomorrow am for sure

Scott
TEAGAN II
2006 31' TE
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Glad to here it Scott and you're entirely welcome. We sure do like the easy fixes.
Enjoy the rest of your trip!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

Interesting to put the main cb's under the deck. Well at least Scott will have his coffee
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Unlike my 97 model, the newer 28's also have a shore power circuit breaker under the deck. On my boat it is just aft of the port fish box with the switch facing the fish box where it can inadvertently be shut off when replacing the box. I did not know it was there and let the box hit it and turn it off without knowing it. Then I told the dockmaster that the shore power was not working and I had tried several outlets to no avail. Very embarrassing when I finally figured it out.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:47 pm ... Then I told the dockmaster that the shore power was not working and I had tried several outlets to no avail. Very embarrassing when I finally figured it out.
A simple & handy tool to have aboard is a 30amp twist to 15/20amp straight adapter along with this tester. You'll immediately know if it's you or if it's them. This setup stays aboard and always gets used before I plug in at any transient marina..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Hey Rob that's a great idea and I just happen to have both pieces. The 30 amp twist to 15/20 straight I bought for a quick on the hard conversion to a regular extension cord & the tester is in my real estate bag. It will now be boat packed. Thanks!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Main breakers ...
20170725_164136.jpg
20170725_164201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

OK, on my 98 where is the main circuit breaker? I have a 2 pole switch on my ac panel which I thought was the "main breaker". Is there another one?
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Max, you probably do not have one. My 97 did not have one and i never suspected my 05 model would have the extra circuit breaker. Both the 97 and 05 have the switch on the AC panel and that seems like all that is necessary but as Kevin said above, the extra breaker is necessary to meet ABYC standards.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

My 2000 28TE was a direct run from the cord connector to the AC panel in the cabin as well, on intermediate breaker. The ABYC standard is 10ft max (but the shorter the distance the better). So either Albin was non-compliant back then (many builders are) or the standard was updated (tightened) over time. My old Chris Craft came with nothing in between the cord connector and the main panel in the salon - probably a 25ft run. I added a BlueSea main just inside the salon wall as close to the connector as possible, maybe 5ft run or so now..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Serenity
In Memorium

Post by Serenity »

DSCF1365.JPG
Rob, you had me thinking, not often though, about your adapter. I looked at my own and the plug is 30 male to 15/20 amp male. This setup wouldn't work as you described. I did make my own adapter a while back if I wanted to use an extension cord on the dock, I didn't realize that Marinco makes an adapter 30 amp male to 15/20 female.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”