• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lack of power/trans issue?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Lack of power/trans issue?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So yesterday my plan was to take shady out looking for some tasty Black Sea bass, well those plans quickly changed. Left the slip and everything was running well. Was heading out oyster creek channel (for those who remember same place I wrapped something last year and bent my shaft!) cruising at 15knts when my speed started to fall off. Assuming it was the current picking up (it rips through there) I bumped up the throttle. Next thing I know I'm getting a overtemp alarm! Now no matter how I've pushed her I've never gotten an over temp alarm. So I shut her down and checked the strainer (I checked it before I shoved off but figured I didn't reassemble right or something). Everything looked fine, so I started her back up and started cruising slow. Temp came way down so I assumed I fixed the problem. Brought her back up to cruise (tach isn't working but about 3/4 throttle) which should have been 15-16knts but she was only turning 12! On a lark I pushed her to the pins and she turned 15! Now I knew I had a problem so I shut her down and called for a tow. Now I prob ran her for like 30-40 minutes like that before I realized I had a problem. First thing I did was check the fluids in the trans, level was good and a nice healthy pink color. Marina seems to think I'm dragging something but I don't know if i buy that! She seems to be every bit at responsive as normal to throttle inputs in reverse but forward even at low speeds she is going slower than she should for given throttle input. I'm thinking clutches are dead...opinions?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Lack of power/trans issue?

Post by Russell »

Can you make a quick dive to see if something is wrapped in front of the propeller? I once ran over a black PFC that wrapped the prop and all the flotation material came out leaving the netting wrapped around the shaft. If something is wound around the shaft it might be forced forward when you are in reverse and not be as noticeable.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Doing a short haul tomorrow morning to check the prop and shaft, I'm hoping it's just something wrapped
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Lack of power can be as simple as air restriction.
When's the last time that you changed or cleaned your air filter?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Filter is brand new and no black smoke noted. Motor has less than 30hrs on it
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

You don't have a ladder in the bathing platform at all? Possible that's slipped down if you do?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Pitou wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm Lack of power can be as simple as air restriction.
When's the last time that you changed or cleaned your air filter?
Jeremyvmd wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm Filter is brand new and no black smoke noted. Motor has less than 30hrs on it
The combo of a new filter and no black smoke takes an air restriction out of the equation.

In absence of something hung up in your running gear or "dragging something", if you're lacking power and have reduced RPM's the next thing to look at is a fuel restriction. With all of your trials and tribulations, I'm hoping it's something simple for you.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Ok soooo...hauled the boat today. Prop and running gear are normal. Some slight growth which cleaned off easily. Dropped her back in and took her for a spin. Still doing it. So I checked the ATF again...yea it's not even on the dipstick. That's what I get for trusting someone else to check it! Rookie mistake. It it doesn't seem right check it yourself! Tempted to send that particular buddy then I'll for the short haul! Still doesn't tell me WHERE the atf went. Just it's not there. So we put a quart in and it just wetted the end of the dipstick. Couldn't get the full cover back on (screw was jammed) so we had to call it for today. But even with 1qt it ran better!! Pretty happy but I don't know where the atf went
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm Still doesn't tell me WHERE the atf went. Just it's not there. So we put a quart in and it just wetted the end of the dipstick. Couldn't get the full cover back on (screw was jammed) so we had to call it for today. But even with 1qt it ran better!! Pretty happy but I don't know where the atf went
If the Gear was full before and now it's not and it's not in the bilge then it's time to check the Gear cooler. If the core is compromised you'd be pushing ATF out with the raw water exhaust. I'm certainly hoping that's not the case, but I would pull it and have it pressure tested.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I didn't see it in the bilge but honestly I was so frustrated with the screw that losens the full cap oring stripping that i didn't really pay attention, incidentally it's a m8x1.25, 30mm long on my zf tranny. I might call peninsular, when I got the new motor they supposedly tested and cleaned all the bolt ons (they had the trans too). Need to ask them if they serviced the trans cooler!
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 pm .......Need to ask them if they serviced the trans cooler!
FWIW - What you need to ask them is if they pressure tested the gear cooler AFTER acid cleaning it.......seriously doubt it as this is not the usual low psi heat exchanger pressure test.... the tranny runs at over 300 (to 350) psi and needs to be tested accordingly (ie. scuba tank)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Thank you rob! Yea I'll be sure to ask when I call manana!
Ill prob be down at the boat sat, gonna check the bilge and see if I see anything scary. New trans cooler is 230 from peninsular, if no tranny fluid in bilge might be worth just buying a new cooler and be done with it!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”