• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow thruster only operates to one side

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Bow thruster only operates to one side

Post by jaybap »

Hey guys another issue just popped up on me. Went to use the bow thruster to the starboard side and heard a noise then nothing. Works fine to port side. Could it be the selenoid? Wondering if anyone has run into this before.
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Bow thruster only operates to one side

Post by Jeremyvmd »

My guess would be the solenoid is bad. Or a bad switch. Should be easy to track down with a volt meter!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

Remove the wires at the switch. Clean and reinstall. Had same issue.
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

I had the sane issue with a bad switch. I replaced it with a joystick control. Big difference and easier to control.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

Did you guys have a solid voltage drop when using your thruster?
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

When I use the thruster the voltage drop is enough to cause the GPS to turn off.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I don't really get significant drop. It does drop a little but not enough to cause an issue with any systems
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My Raymarine MFD cuts off with use of the bow 55 thruster, restarts and cuts out again when the thruster is used again. So I turn on the electronics after leaving the slip and turn it off on return before backing into the slip.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

jaybap wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:32 pm Did you guys have a solid voltage drop when using your thruster?
Russell wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:13 pm My Raymarine MFD cuts off with use of the bow 55 thruster, restarts and cuts out again when the thruster is used again. So I turn on the electronics after leaving the slip and turn it off on return before backing into the slip.
With a new Furuno TZ-Touch 2 MFD being installed last year to replace the NorthStar 6000i MFD, I began to experience MFD cut out for the first time ever when the bow thruster was used. Many of the newer electronics are extremely sensitive to voltage drop. I ended up installing a Newmar Nav-Pac power Conditioner under the helm to prevent voltage drops. Problem solved. With the way Albin wired our boats, the house bank provides Power to our electronics and the bow thruster.

Another way to skin the cat on this problem would be to move the thruster to the engine start bank.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Steam Flyer
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Eastern NC

Post by Steam Flyer »

Ben423 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:00 am When I use the thruster the voltage drop is enough to cause the GPS to turn off.
This could be due to a couple of things. The first and major suspect is an undersize or undercharged battery. The bow thruster pulls a lot of amps, if the battery doesn't have those amps to spare then the voltage will drop. It could also be issues with the feed wiring to various other parts of the 12V system.

Get a good voltmeter, connect it to the battery terminals while the battery is fully charged and at rest (everything off). It should sit happily around 12.6 for a long time. Then start connecting loads to it. How much does the voltage drop AT THE TERMINALS when you start switching on lights etc? Now turn everything off and hit the bow thruster. How much does the TERMINAL voltage drop? Volt meters on the dash, or at the panel are rarely wired straight to the terminals. When diagnosing electrical problems, nothing is as helpful as full knowledge of the voltage drops across various parts of the system.

Hope this helps- Doug
jaybap
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jaybap »

Thanks for the help guys. Undid the connections cleaned them and put back on. Bow thrusters are working!!
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

Thanks for the suggestion, Doug. I'll try it this weekend. The batteries (4D house, Gp. 31 starting) are five years old and were not well maintained before we got the boat last month. They could easily be the reason for the GPS shutdown.
JBrooks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cedar Creek Marina, Old Hickory Lake, Mt. Juliet, TN

Post by JBrooks »

I"m having similar issues on my 30FC which I purchased in May. All electronics power is interrupted when bow thruster is used. My temp fix is to turn electronics off since I only use bow thruster at the dock. Once I clear my slip I turn thruster off and electronics back on. On Saturday I came in at night to the marina and my navigation lights would go out when thruster is used. The lights come back on as soon as the thruster is disengaged. A few other boats at the marina have dedicated batteries for their thrusters. May look at that route or verify which battery my thruster is connected to(house or starter).
JB
Floridays
2004 Albin 30FC
Perkins M265TI
Dr Luke
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Harbor Marina, Waretown, NJ

Post by Dr Luke »

JB, I ended up replacing my thruster with a new one, stronger too, for several reasons. Instead of running the appropriate huge cables to replace the 17 year old under sized ones, i added an 8d battery and independent charger for the thruster in the bow. In addition, I have it wired so when its for thruster use, it's isolated, but for on the hook house power, it can be an extra 8d in the house bank. Solved the problem of electronics restarting with thruster use, and I can actually turn the bow in a significant cross wind...
Paul

2000 32+2: Poco Loco
1992 Boston Whaler 23 Walkaround: UnLeashed
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I had a situation where the truster got wet. Motor was able to be rebuilt, and seems to be working like a champ. Found a really good DC motor shop locally here to rebuild it an those guys are miracle workers. $240 out the door.

When I hooked it up, I found that one half of my solenoid wasn't working - I have thrust in one direction and not the other. When I activate the non-working side, the solenoid is clicking, and I've cleaned all terminals, but it isn't sending power to the motor. I'm assuming this is the issue and not the switch at the helm.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Albin Maintenance”