• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission help

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Transmission help

Post by DCatSea »

OK - Just went out for a run across the Bay to Tilghman Island, to shake down after the winter's work. All was running beautifully - engine was running cooler than ever before (150 @ 2500 rpm), previous sound and vibration issues apparently solved by putting in new mounts, all electrical systems operating properly and life in general looking and sounding good.. Mazboot banging along like a good'un, at easy 7 kts. Weather fabulous, sea like a mill pond, no traffic.

Only issue - a small regular loss of ATF, which was an issue from last year, but controllable - keeping a good eye on it, while recognizing that there is a potential issue to get professional help on.

Approaching Eastern Shore of MD, we heard a nasty noise from engine room. Quick scan revealed ATF in engine room bilge, and a dry transmission dipstick. Allowed trans to cool, and added ATF, and tried to go ahead. No forward gear engaged - astern was very good.

Then the weather unexpectedly changed, and a yacht race appeared in the distance, rapidly gaining on us. On a happy note - the BoatUS towing insurance worked really well - highly recommended.

Questions:
1) Can anyone identify the Hurth transmission in the pic. below? Is it a ZF 12M 2.1:1 - Hurth HBW10 HBW125, or other model?
2) Has anyone had this "one direction only" problem in the past, and can you advise on cause / fixes?

I'm hoping this will "just" be an opportunity to have the transmission rebuilt, and hope I don't need to replace it, (we have a reportedly excellent marine transmission mechanic locally - in Deale MD), but if I do need to change - it happens :|

Hope to have this done so we can float down to the Chesapeake Rendezvous on 6/24.

Any and all advice and assistance most welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Transmission help

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I'm no transmission expert but sounds like you might have fried the forward clutch plates. Only concern would be what did the heat generated damage...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Doug that looks like my transmission. I have a 1984 model it's number is HBW150-1,9R Nr.: 11-3194 5 Hope that helps I have the stickers off they like to fall off. My boat is coming along. Sorry to hear about the problems. Give me a call if you need more information
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks Chris, very useful, and I guess I'll find out for sure once we start "getting to it". I am going down on Monday to start looking for numbers etc, and chatting up the people who will probably be doing the work.

I am hoping that Jeremy is looking along the right lines; I am no transmission expert either, by I am trying to be optimistic about it being "only" the clutch plates". Having the tranny on the workbench will be a good opportunity to make sure it is 100% operative before taking off on longer trips.

Other positives:
1) I can now install a new swim ladder under the platform without doing water gymnastics.
2) May be a good opportunity to repack the stuffing box.
3) May be a good time to look into a new flex-coupler. (existing is good, but we all know how Murphy love a challenge)

Know that I am still planning to be on the Chester River this year, and look forward to seeing your 27FC over beers.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I hope the information helps. About the only thing I haven't done is the motor mounts, flex coupler and transmission. So it will be interesting to talk to you about that. I have never had my boat in the water it will be interesting to see how it runs. That will be fun this summer can't wait. How many hours are on your motor and transmission?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I'm registering 1549 hours on the engine and transmission. This will probably change once I have had the tranny fixed. I'll look forward to seeing yours in the water soon, and talking about keeping 27FCs happy and running well. Sure it will be an interesting conversation. I have done the mounts, as you know, but haven't done flex-mount. Transmission is now a work in progress.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “Albin Maintenance”