• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bonding stern bearing housing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Bonding stern bearing housing

Post by socalmike »

Removed the Stern bearing housing today. It was badly corroded where the lip enters the keel. Has anybody bonded this? If so where to and how. I am most likely ordering a new one. I suspect this is my higher rpm wobble issue. Mike.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Bonding stern bearing housing

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

Yup. Got one on an airplane now for delivery tommorow. Just need to figure out how to bond it. I may add a zinc to it.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

That is going to be pretty tough to get to the back side to bond it. The bonding diagram I have shows it being bonded. I also have a shaft zinc. I redid allot of my bonding as the wire ends had corrosion that would have affected performance.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by socalmike »

It's not bonded. I am adding a zinc to it. The shaft zinc only protected the shaft as the cutlass does not allow any contact of metals. The lip that goes into the keel was basically gone.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I saw a boat with the same rudder arrangement in the boat yard that had a zinc mounted at the forward end of the skeg bar and a heavy wire running up the back of the keel to the stern tube bolt. This protects both the skeg bar and the stern tube. I intend to do this to my boat because electrolysis caused the lower rudder bearing to fall off. The new one made by Buck Algonquin is not compatible to the old skeg bar and I had to purchase a new bar and bearing carrier.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
dasabalon
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Islip

Post by dasabalon »

I added a zinc to the housing. I had a stud welded onto the back of the top bolt. I used a mercruiser zinc that screws directly onto the bolt. I will take a picture when I go to the boat it is out of the water
Don
Abalon
2004 flushdeck
Islip NY

Return to “Albin Maintenance”