• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Black smoke of death

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Black smoke of death

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So the past 24 hours have both thrilled me and broken my heart. I got the call that the boat was finnaly fixed from its strike incident last year. Was floated and ready. And then find out today it's blowing tons of black smoke and making no power!!!!! I haven't been down to it yet (maybe tomorrow) anyone have any ideas where I should start looking. Remember this is a brand new motor that ran perfect when it was pulled because the shaft was bent. Now the very next time it's run it's doing bad stuff
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Black smoke of death

Post by jleonard »

Black smoke is unburned fuel. Check the air intake plumbing to see if a hose clamp came off. Check to make sure the turbocharger can spin freely with the engine OFF.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I was actually just typing that. Lol. I posted the moment I got off the phone with the marina. In the future I will wait until the brain starts working again!

Now that I've calmed down and not feeling like the hulk (hulk smash!) I've started using my brain. I think I know exactly what the problem is. I installed a ccv into the boat as the factory setup had strait host from the crankcase to the intake. When I replaced it with the new setup I didn't actually check to see if the hose was interfering with the turbo! So what has likely happened is the hose either damaged the turbo or it is simply not letting it spin normally (really hoping the second). From what I remember about turbos they are pretty easy to stop from spinning as they don't generate a ton of torque. So I'm hoping it's just that and I don't have to rebuild the turbo.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

When I had my old Dodge/Cummins pickup truck I modified the intake plumbing and put on a larger turbocharger. On my initial trial run the main hose popped off the turbo outlet when I hit about 35 psi boost....talk about some black smoke (and a loud bang)! :lol:
Easily rectified
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Good luck, Jeremy. Hope it's something simple.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So I went down yesterday only to find the fuel pickup on the little boat was clogged. Ran fine and then stranded my 1/2 mile from shore in a nice 2ft chop with whitecaps and blowing 20! So got that running again and got her to the marina. At which point I got a chance to check out the Albin. So I was wrong the hose wasn't touching the turbo. Turbo looked clean and fine but wasn't spinning when the motor ran. So I shut it down and tried to spin the compressor wheel. Took a little force but it started to turn a few seconds of working it by hand and it was turning freely. Started the motor - no black smoke, turbo spinning fine. No weird sounds or anything to I reassembled everything and called peninsular today. They don't seem worried. Said it could be from sitting. Not to worry about it:/
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Jeremyvmd wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pmTurbo looked clean and fine but wasn't spinning when the motor ran. So I shut it down and tried to spin the compressor wheel. Took a little force but it started to turn a few seconds of working it by hand and it was turning freely. Started the motor - no black smoke, turbo spinning fine. No weird sounds or anything to I reassembled everything and called peninsular today. They don't seem worried. Said it could be from sitting. Not to worry about it:/
The EXACT same thing happened to me on our 28 several years ago. Took her out for her first run. Got on the throttle and LOADS of black smoke and no power.

Get back to the marina and mention this calamity to the yard manager. He's all "Your turbo is stuck from sitting over the winter. Reach in, give her a spin and you'll be fine."

And it was! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Follow turbo clean procedure "do not over spray"
"MAHALO"