• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: 1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Post by tribologist »

Here is the design of our bunks and position over the axle. Note the brackets on the inside. I have not measured the tounge weight but it trailered very nice. Two 250 + dudes lifts it with serious effort so its probably 400+ lb.

Ulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

How much tongue weight do you think you have?
I've never actually measured our tongue weight separately, only total trailer weight disconnected from the truck. Never had any sway problems, so figured it was OK. My truck is a 3/4 ton with pretty stiff springs, & when I hook up the trailer it only presses the back end down about 1 inch. Which is another thing to consider if you're towing with a pickup & have a bunch of stuff loaded in the bed besides the weight of the trailer tongue (like us when we have the dinghy loaded on the back of the truck plus outboard & other miscellaneous gear) & how that affects the truck's total load carrying capacity.
20180806_192051.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

tribologist wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am Here is the design of our bunks and position over the axle. Note the brackets on the inside. I have not measured the tounge weight but it trailered very nice. Two 250 + dudes lifts it with serious effort so its probably 400+ lb.

Ulf
Thank you for the pics, it definitely looks like your boat is a bit farther ahead than mine. What do you have under your keel?
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

789DF487-CF4F-45AF-A92D-2160F554641B.jpeg
DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 am
How much tongue weight do you think you have?
I've never actually measured our tongue weight separately, only total trailer weight disconnected from the truck. Never had any sway problems, so figured it was OK. My truck is a 3/4 ton with pretty stiff springs, & when I hook up the trailer it only presses the back end down about 1 inch. Which is another thing to consider if you're towing with a pickup & have a bunch of stuff loaded in the bed besides the weight of the trailer tongue (like us when we have the dinghy loaded on the back of the truck plus outboard & other miscellaneous gear) & how that affects the truck's total load carrying capacity.
20180806_192051.jpg
I’m towing with a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. Truck used to be standard cab. Now it’s a extra cab. That was a bit of work a few summers ago. Love this old truck! 427,000 miles and still running like new!

Right now truck barely sags from trailer.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Dieselram94 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:13 pm
tribologist wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:36 am Here is the design of our bunks and position over the axle. Note the brackets on the inside. I have not measured the tounge weight but it trailered very nice. Two 250 + dudes lifts it with serious effort so its probably 400+ lb.

Ulf
Thank you for the pics, it definitely looks like your boat is a bit farther ahead than mine. What do you have under your keel?
Its a fat board, probably a 2x10. I can measure it tonight. Will make it a nightmare to pull the trailer out but good for load distribution.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

OK, if you convert standard pickups to double cabs in your spare time, you really don't need any of our collective wisdom!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"I’m towing with a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. Truck used to be standard cab. Now it’s a extra cab. That was a bit of work a few summers ago. Love this old truck! 427,000 miles and still running like new!"
You da man!! :D

We love our 2006 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Laramie. They'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off this one. I've been driving since 1969 & this is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Never was a particular fan of Mopar products, though I've owned a couple Chrysler products back in the day, namely a '63 Plymouth Fury convertible & a '65 Plymouth Valient convertible & specifically looked for a Dodge Ram diesel based solely on the reputation of Cummins engines & never looked back. The '06 Ram was the last year of the 5.7L Cummins, last year before the DPF systems & need to add Blue Def fluid. Even now my truck only has 138K miles on it, barely broken in after towing the boat over 16K miles and our RV trailer over 10K. Way off topic, but the '63 Fury I had was like this, black like this except with white top & stock 318 engine. Oh to have that car now!

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /100722643

"Its a fat board, probably a 2x10. I can measure it tonight. Will make it a nightmare to pull the trailer out but good for load distribution."

I'm sure glad you got the spelling right! :lol:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

2x12 :-). Are you picking on the Swenglish

Thick => Tjock => Fat.

It ends at the tail of the trailer, just as the keel start to curve down.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

You got a friend at my work. He just swapped frame on his 2004 Ford F-150.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

tribologist wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:15 pm
Dieselram94 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Ulf
Its a fat board, probably a 2x10. I can measure it tonight. Will make it a nightmare to pull the trailer out but good for load distribution.
Cool, I like how that would be continuous support. I installed four keel rollers, however the rear one is bowed under the weight. Improper bunks are certainly not helping. I may just convert to a board as well if it’s working well for you.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Downside is if you are trying to get it off the trailer and onto blocks.... I'm considering making a support from two 6 ton jack stands with a aluminum plate topped with plywood to bridge the plank.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:14 pm
"I’m towing with a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. Truck used to be standard cab. Now it’s a extra cab. That was a bit of work a few summers ago. Love this old truck! 427,000 miles and still running like new!"
You da man!! :D

We love our 2006 Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Laramie. They'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off this one. I've been driving since 1969 & this is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Never was a particular fan of Mopar products, though I've owned a couple Chrysler products back in the day, namely a '63 Plymouth Fury convertible & a '65 Plymouth Valient convertible & specifically looked for a Dodge Ram diesel based solely on the reputation of Cummins engines & never looked back. The '06 Ram was the last year of the 5.7L Cummins, last year before the DPF systems & need to add Blue Def fluid. Even now my truck only has 138K miles on it, barely broken in after towing the boat over 16K miles and our RV trailer over 10K. Way off topic, but the '63 Fury I had was like this, black like this except with white top & stock 318 engine. Oh to have that car now!

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /100722643

"Its a fat board, probably a 2x10. I can measure it tonight. Will make it a nightmare to pull the trailer out but good for load distribution."

I'm sure glad you got the spelling right! :lol:
Sweet truck! Your very wise getting that truck before the emissions kicked in. DPF=headache!
Your Fury must have been pretty! Love the old Mopars!
For a brief time I strongly considered buying this truck. It was my buddies and he passed last October in a motorcycle accident.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:24 pm OK, if you convert standard pickups to double cabs in your spare time, you really don't need any of our collective wisdom!
Everyone’s collective wisdom is far more valuable than mine!!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Collective wisdom can be a euphemism for pooled ignorance. This IS the interweb; choose wisely grasshopper!

On a side note...maybe I missed it, but what is the WAS in the subject line? I know what a WAG is, likewise POS (rhymes with fleece of spit), but WAS? Otherwise not really fluent in text shorthand. Now my ignorance is pooling.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:21 am Collective wisdom can be a euphemism for pooled ignorance. This IS the interweb; choose wisely grasshopper!

On a side note...maybe I missed it, but what is the WAS in the subject line? I know what a WAG is, likewise POS (rhymes with fleece of spit), but WAS? Otherwise not really fluent in text shorthand. Now my ignorance is pooling.

Excellent point on choosing wisely. However you guys have been around the Albins much longer than me. I appreciate being able to discus these boat issues with everyone. I think for most problems, at least one member has probably seen it already.

Original title of thread : New member in mid coast Maine

A moderator switched the title to : 1973 Albin 25

WAS meaning title used to be.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”