• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: 1973 Albin 25 WAS: New member in midcoast Maine

Post by hetek »

Not to muck things up but here's another data point for you. My trailer bunks:
20180807_183902.jpg
It is a 3" x 10" chunk of Cypress with a 4 x 6 glued and screwed to the bottom for use as a spacer. I scribed the curve of the hull onto the Cypress and cut it for a custom fit. Fits like a glove, but it was a lot of work. That's a 1977 deLuxe hull bottom, btw.

Those two bolts through the sides go to angled braces that bolt to the trailer cross members to eliminate the "wobble factor".

The 4x6's were used to raise the boat up higher because, yes, my boat's rudder fitting showed evidence of touching pavement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I use my donut zinc on the skeg for "curb feeler". Works good, sounds like death.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

If you look at ski boats which typically run a fixed shaft and prop, you'll see that many of their trailers have an extended bar which runs under the prop/rudder to protect them. Not a bad idea for an A25 trailer in my opinion.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

My 76 Super Amazing Deluxe will hit 10kts - at least the one time I cranked it with DA and Helen aboard. MD17C, I dropped the revs before getting nailed for doing wheelies.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Dieselram94 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:07 am I just purchased a trailer today from local dealer who had it in stock. I got a Venture Commander 7225
Sweet trailer! I believe it will take up to a 27’ Boat so a bit large so I have plenty of adjustment.

Is your rear most crossmember cut and shaped like a U to accommodate the keel?
I think you may have to make a pretty major change to the aft end of the trailer to accommodate the rudder. If you look at DA's trailer the rudder is aft of the last cross member. Your trailer is a bit too long for the boat at 27 feet, which means you won't be able to hang the rudder off the aft end of the trailer and still have it balanced so you have the correct tongue weight. Moving a boat just 5 or 6 inches for and aft will dramatically change the tongue weight - It will take you some trial and error to get the boat in the correct place and if you can't move the axles aft, you probably won't be able to get proper clearance for the rudder unless you make some modifications to the aft end of the trailer. Before you design the keel support and all the bunks, make sure you have the tongue weight all sorted out

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Off topic, but TS/Cat 1 hurricane Gordon heading for Gulf Coast tonight. Hang in there Don!
TS Gordon.jpg
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Gordo ... -Hurricane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

We've lived here for 45 years, so we've been through much worse, many times. Katrina wiped out everything, so now we live much farther inland than we used to - No high water here no matter how bad it gets

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Don, hope you weathered the storm ok!

Here’s some pics of my new trailer, it looks bigger in the pictures than it actually is. Lined up side by side it looks like it will fit pretty well. I think...
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Placed boat on new trailer today. Now I can actually see what I need to order, for the bunks. Definitely needs adjustment, I just put the 2x4’s in so I could get it home. I definitely want it to be nice when done, not ghetto at all.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'm a little concerned that the boat is not on the trailer far enough leading to a light trailer tongue and too much weight behind the wheels. If you look closely at the other photos on this thread, the boat is further forward on the trailer. Desert's is way further forward and if you look at mine it's about 18-20" further forward of the trailer (if you look at the back of the trailer and the front edge of the aft cabin)
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

kerrye wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am I'm a little concerned that the boat is not on the trailer far enough leading to a light trailer tongue and too much weight behind the wheels. If you look closely at the other photos on this thread, the boat is further forward on the trailer. Desert's is way further forward and if you look at mine it's about 18-20" further forward of the trailer (if you look at the back of the trailer and the front edge of the aft cabin)

I believe your right, I ordered the correct length bunk risers today, I’m hoping to raise the boat higher and be able to slide it ahead a bit more. It probably has a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight as is but I agree, needs to be farther ahead. I just was limited with what I had yesterday at the boat ramp. My goal is to have it fit well and look mice as well.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Can the winch post be moved forwards?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Rule of thumb tongue weight should be +/- 10% of total weight. Winch post should be adjustable I would think, a bolted on affair. The problem you'll have in moving the boat forward is it'll have to be raised up enough to clear where the keel drops down, & limited as to how far forward the winch post can be moved. And the higher the boat is on the trailer the further back in the water it will have to be to float off.

Ours has quite a bit of tongue length between the hitch & the bow & have no problems with the the trailer tracking correctly & no sway problems. The back edge of the wheelhouse lines up approximately centered between the two axles. Actually, I have to back the trailer in at the ramp to the point where water's edge is at the back edge of the driver's door.
DSCN3667.JPG
DSCN3628.JPG
When we had our sailboat it sat so high on the trailer due to the wing keel that we had to "strap launch". That is, back the trailer down to water''s edge, chock the wheels, unhook the trailer (it had dolly wheels on the tongue" attach a tow strap, take up the slack, unchock the wheels & let the trailer roll in deep enough to float the boat off, mostly because there was a much shorter tongue length.
Nikon 2012 351.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

kerrye wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:08 pm Can the winch post be moved forwards?
Yes, I moved it all the way back to meet the boat. Either needs to be behind where the rails tie into the tongue or after. Hope it doesn’t want to land directly on that joint...
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:35 pm Rule of thumb tongue weight should be +/- 10% of total weight. Winch post should be adjustable I would think, a bolted on affair. The problem you'll have in moving the boat forward is it'll have to be raised up enough to clear where the keel drops down, & limited as to how far forward the winch post can be moved. And the higher the boat is on the trailer the further back in the water it will have to be to float off.

Ours has quite a bit of tongue length between the hitch & the bow & have no problems with the the trailer tracking correctly & no sway problems. The back edge of the wheelhouse lines up approximately centered between the two axles. Actually, I have to back the trailer in at the ramp to the point where water's edge is at the back edge of the driver's door.

DSCN3667.JPG
DSCN3628.JPG

When we had our sailboat it sat so high on the trailer due to the wing keel that we had to "strap launch". That is, back the trailer down to water''s edge, chock the wheels, unhook the trailer (it had dolly wheels on the tongue" attach a tow strap, take up the slack, unchock the wheels & let the trailer roll in deep enough to float the boat off, mostly because there was a much shorter tongue length.

Nikon 2012 351.jpg
Yeah, as it was my rear wheels were almost half under water. I hate doing that to my truck as it’s salt water. Good thing I fluid film meticulously underneath every fall. The bumper is bad as I used to not treat it.

How much tongue weight do you think you have?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”