• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seacocks on Albin 36

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

edduffy
Swabby
Swabby

Seacocks on Albin 36

Post by edduffy »

I recently purchased an Albin 36 built in 1978. The Seacocks are bronze and have the handle on the side. How do I take these apart to grease them and also what type of grease do you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ed :)
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I don't know about taking them apart, but the way I maintain seacocks is to spray the handle where it connects to the ball valve with a lubricant and exercise it moving it back and forth while possibly spraying again while you continue to move the handle back and forth. If and when on the hard as well spray up through the strainers first with the valve closed and do the same. Best to have a second pair of hands for this one.

I use Aerokroil by KanoLabs or use a similar product called PowerBlaster or whatever is handy ...... CorroisionX, WD, etc. I prefer the heavier duty products for this job, but the key is to lubricate and exercise.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Usually seacocks lubricate with seawater. Simply opening and closing them on a regular basis will improve their action. If they are frozen, about all you can do is replace them, to my knowledge.
edduffy
Swabby
Swabby

Seacocks

Post by edduffy »

Thanks everybody for responding. I did some additional searchs and came up with a company called Spartan Marine. They sell seacock lapping compound and grease. They also have a seacock Maintenance page which was helpful.

I am going to take the seacocks apart on my boat next week and will let you all know what I find.

Thanks,

Ed

Just a quick update. There is a nut on the left hand side of the seacock. I removed the nut and tapped the threads with a rubber mallet and the seacock was able to disassembled. I used the compound and grease, re-assembled the seacocks and they now work smoothly with no leaks.

Thanks,

ED

Return to “Albin Maintenance”