• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hello! New to Forum, Albin 28 Repower Project

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
jakeb
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Boston, Massachussets

Hello! New to Forum, Albin 28 Repower Project

Post by jakeb »

Hi everyone,

My name's Jake, and I’m excited to join this forum! I'm based in Boston and have family in Kennebunkport, Maine. I've been looking to get a boat that I can take from Boston up to Kennebunkport, on overnight trips to Cape Cod and Nantucket, and up to Acadia National Park on occasion. My search has led me to the Albin 28. It's classic downeast design and seaworthiness paired with more "creature comforts" than your standard lobster boat make it the perfect fit for me.

I'm looking to find a boat and be on the water by April 2025. I just came across a 1997 Albin 28 in Boothbay Harbor, Maine, up for sale at $15,000. The boat itself is in great shape, but it has the Peninsular engine, which seized up during the pandemic and will need to be repowered.

I don’t know a lot about engines or what’s involved in a repower project. So, I thought I’d reach out to this forum to see if anyone’s interested in teaming up, knows someone local in Maine who has the right skills, or just has any advice or tips for me. Does this sound like a good opportunity? Any input would be super helpful!

Perhaps the better route would just be to go with one of the options on the market around the $75,000 range that doesn't have any issues and is ready to roll...

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
Wilkie
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Swansea, MA.

Re: Hello! New to Forum, Albin 28 Repower Project

Post by Wilkie »

[/url]We Just purchased an Albin 28T in Newburyport, MA!

The prior owner had the latest Yanmar 8LV installed and was very pleased!! We had the boat shipped to our Home in Swansea, MA as it had been on the hard for a year!!

Wilkie
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Hello! New to Forum, Albin 28 Repower Project

Post by REBMystic »

Hi Jake,

First, it's on my bucket list to cruise the areas you mention! hopefully in a few years I'll get a chance to get up there.

Realize that there is no used boat "that doesn't have any issues". Of course some will have more than others! My only experience with repowering was an old sailboat, but if the hull and other systems are in good shape for $15K, then spending the money and effort for a re-power sounds like a good deal. You'll know the engine is in good shape and you can ensure all maintenance is done right going forward. To make it in the water by April you'll have to find a solid marina who can do that work.

I still suggest getting survey done on the hull and systems. If the hull is dry, thru hulls in good shape, and the electrical, water and waste systems don't need major work, then great! (Also good if hull is already barrier coated.) Also - with the engine out, you get the chance to really get the bilge area cleaned up.

Good luck to you! You'll find this forum helpful.

Rob
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"

Return to “New Member Introductions”