• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electrical Problem

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Electrical Problem

Post by JoeH »

A few months ago I mentioned a problem I was having with my 120V system. I'm getting power to my microwave etc. However my outlets are not working. At the suggestion of one of our members I just replaced my Ground Fault Interrupter. Still not getting power to the outlets. Any other suggestions before I have to hire an elecrrician.

Thanks in advance.

Joe H
Scituate, MA
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Outlets

Post by RicM »

Joe,

If you have a multi-meter you can trace back to were the power is still live and that will pinpoint the problem. If you don't have a meter, Radio Sack sells a great little one about the size of a cell phone that is very handy to just leave on the boat.
See:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search
You can just get a little socket tester at a hardware store if you don't want to pay $29 for the meter.
The AC power on my boat goes straight from the shore power socket to the AC Panel. There is a switch on the panel for the AC outlets. See if you have power to there. Turn the switch on and check to see if there is power on the "out" terminals at the switch If yes, just keep following the wiring until you find the point where it dies. That's basically what the electrician will do.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Outlets

Post by JoeH »

RicM wrote:Joe,

If you have a multi-meter you can trace back to were the power is still live and that will pinpoint the problem. If you don't have a meter, Radio Sack sells a great little one about the size of a cell phone that is very handy to just leave on the boat.
See:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search
You can just get a little socket tester at a hardware store if you don't want to pay $29 for the meter.
The AC power on my boat goes straight from the shore power socket to the AC Panel. There is a switch on the panel for the AC outlets. See if you have power to there. Turn the switch on and check to see if there is power on the "out" terminals at the switch If yes, just keep following the wiring until you find the point where it dies. That's basically what the electrician will do.
Ric
Thanks for the timely response. I do have a multi meter and will try your suggestion tomorrow. What really confuses me is that I'm getting power to my in house 120v power i.e. the stove, microwave, air conditioning etc. except the wall outlets arn't working even though I just changed the GFI today. The sw on the AC panel is on the on position.

Thanks again for the help.

Joe H
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Make sure the reset button on the GFI is not popped & check power coming out of the AC Panel switch for the outlets as Ric suggests. It's a simple system you're bound to find the problem..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

AC outlets

Post by RicM »

Joe:

The switch could be burnt out or corroded, there could be a bad (corroded) splice somewhere, if several outlets are in the circuit together the hot wire to the first outlet could have yanked out, yielding a positive reading at the switch but no juice in the plug or the subsequent outlets down the line. Take apart and examine any connections. On my old boat I found lot's of home type "wire nuts" on the system which looked normal from the outside but consisted of green dust only when taken apart. People do odd things, assume nothing.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Electrical Problem - Maybe GFCI

Post by joe.baar »

Our 28TE has two GFCIs, one just forward of the galley sink and one just aft of the helm chair. Other outlets might be wired downstream of a GFCI you're not aware of yet.

Also, all our AC goes through the inverter even when we're plugged into shore power so the breaker for that must be ON, as well as the "AC Outlets" breaker. This seems odd until you read up on transfer switches and grounding systems for boats and RVs.

You will find it. Take your time.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

I was having the same problem until I realized the outlets were mis-labeled in the panel.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA

Return to “Albin Maintenance”