• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Lift Rails

Albin's "power cruisers"
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

A27 Lift Rails

Post by SkipRocks »

I'm about to install lift rails on my A27 Express (or Sport).

Back story: I need a new engine. The engine in my boat - Volvo Penta TAMD31P - is a 150 hp diesel. It was in the boat when I purchased it 10 years ago. It cruises at an economical 8-knots or I can quintiple the fuel burn and maybe manage an additional 2 knots. The Volvo failed me this summer, swallowed/broke a valve which knocked the heck out of the #1 piston. Given that the volvo is 24 years old & has 2500+ hours, I wasn't up for just repairing one piston. Volvo parts for older engines aren't cheap and the 3 quotes I received to rebuild it were in the same ballpark as purchasing a new engine. Hello 0 hour reconditioned Cummins Marine 4BT. There are two A27s that I know of here in FL with the Cummins 4BT and a surprising number in commercial downeaster lobster boats in the NE. I've been on one with limited insulation that rattled like crazy and one that was amazingly smooth and quiet - except at idle... I don't know exactly why, but every 4BT I've ever been around vibrates at idle, that includes auto, gen-set and marine applications.

Now for the lift rails. They used to be popular 30-40 years ago in older lobster boats with a mostly displacement hull, rounded chines, etc (sounds like an A27 hull to me). The last year or two that Albin made the A27 they installed them as well. I saw a '91 or '92 A27 with factory lift rails in Missouri and another one was discussed on this board (A27 top speed) that has a photo of them. There are some detailed discussions on the downeastboatforum.com Stay tuned... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”