• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Lowering/Raising the mast on 36 ft trawler

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

billr
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: pamlico sound

Lowering/Raising the mast on 36 ft trawler

Post by billr »

I have just purchased a 1980 36ft Albin Trawler (yay!!!) and will be heading down the Erie Canal to take her home. My question concerns lowering the mast as it will not make it through the bridges on the canal.

I will include a couple of pictures, one showing the boat in general showing the location of the mast, the second showing how the mast is hinged to the flybridge.

Probably the most important note is that I am new to this. This comes into play as this is a boating question which will garner boating answers using boating terms, some of which may be unfamiliar to me. I will do my best to figure out the intent, and I apologize if I have to come back seeking further clarification.

Secondly, the mast has to be lowered towards the front as the flybridge railing prevents it from lowering aft. Therefore the Bimini will have to be lowered/removed for this to be done. I do have a crutch for the mask to sit in once it is lowered.

At the moment, I am looking for a solution that does not require additional equipment such as a gin pole as I would like to make it home before implementing a final solution. Of course, additional straps, ropes, shackles, etc may be required.

I have spoken with several people about this, some who claim it would be easy to do single-handedly, while others claim that it would be impossible.

From the people who have experience lowering/raising their masts:

1. Would it be possible using additional lines and shackles to lower and raise the mast by myself? Me being an average 64 yo, ie not muscle bound. : )

2. Can the mast be lowered and raised with no additional lines/shackles if there are two or three people working together?

3. Would disconnecting the boom help in lowering/raising the mast?

If I can provide any other information or pictures that would help clarify my questions please do not hesitate to ask.

I really appreciate everyone’s help.
Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Lowering/Raising the mast on 36 ft trawler

Post by jashmen »

Remove the boom to protect it. Attach the line used to raise the boom to another new line and 'raise' it. Attach the end to a point aft along the centerline. As you let out the boom line mast will slowly fall forwards
billr
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: pamlico sound

Post by billr »

Hi jashmen, first, thank you so much for your idea.

I think I understand, but wanted to double check my assumptions. I have included a drawing which depicts my understanding of your proposed method. Could you let me know if I have the fundamentals correct?

And for those who are wondering, I am not a professional boat artist. : P

IMG_0036.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

sorry for the late reply. Thats basically it. I would suggest a pully system because it gets very heavy fast. Leave the front stays attached.

Return to “General Discussion”