• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seawater pump 2007 albin 28 w/ 315 yanmar

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

LloydT
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Pilley's Island, NL CANADA

Seawater pump 2007 albin 28 w/ 315 yanmar

Post by LloydT »

Hi all..tried removing nuts on seawater pump bcos its leaking but cannot get them off, so now I've removed pump cover/screws and taken out old O ring.
Shud I apply any substance to the New O ring b4 installing it (vaseline, etc)or just put it on as is?
I hope this is not a stupid question and if it is, my apologies and feel free to comment on ways to remove those bloody pump nuts, bottom one is rusty, top one clean
Cheers
Thanks in advance
LloydT
RockAndReel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo Fl

Re: Seawater pump 2007 albin 28 w/ 315 yanmar

Post by RockAndReel »

A few comments.
A little Vaseline to hold the o ring in place.
Clean the cover and the groove for the o ring.
Replace the rubber pump while you are in there.

Typically these pumps leak at the bearing seal.
You might check to make sure you know you are
certain where it is leaking.
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

The studs / nuts holding the pump in can be a pain to remove. PB Blaster, wait a day, try it again. Rinse and repeat as needed... and try not to round off the nuts. My pump had been leaking at the bearing seal. Ended up replacing it.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Like Greg said, your leak may most likely be the shaft seal which then slings salt water on the side of the motor and oil pan. These pumps are rebuildable, good PM every third season during winter layup. I have a spare that gets rebuilt and then I just swap them out. Easiest way to remove pump is to remove hoses and tuck out of the way. Remove the 4 bolts which will split the pump in half. A battery ratchet will make this entire process way easier. Then remove the two nuts that hold the housing against the motor. Be sure to get a couple spare gaskets as they are fragile and damage easy. One more thing that makes the re-assembly easier is to take one of the 4 bolts to local hardware store and purchase a couple longer bolts, they are metric threads. Cut the heads off and use them to align the two housings and getting the other two bolts started. This process was tweaked over the years and after a plethora of cuss words……. Hope this helps! One more thing, when getting the pump back in place against the motor, you may have to put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and turn the motor over just a bit to get the gears to realign.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"

Return to “General Discussion”