• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Winterizing for in-water winter

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Winterizing for in-water winter

Post by DCatSea »

We're doing the Alexandria VA Parade of Lights again this year in December and I'm thinking to leave Mazboot in the water afterwards for the coming winter. This would be a first as she usually comes out for the cold months, but I kind of like the idea of some chilly cruising.

Hopefully the Potomac will not freeze over; I have a bubbler and probably will get a bilge heater unless someone thinks this is bad idea. I'll also be doing a good engine service in the late Fall, and applying the usual new fluids, draining tankage etc.

Do you northern Coldweather Albineers have suggestions for helping us weather the storm?

Thanks
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
RockAndReel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo Fl

Re: Winterizing for in-water winter

Post by RockAndReel »

Bilge heaters work great, until we have a storm and the power goes out.
Just something to think about..
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Doug, I've wintered in the water in Mass. for 3 years and didn't have a problem. You've lived there long enough to know the odds of an overnight power loss-but you can safe-side it with a "little Buddy" propane heater and a few small cannisters of propane. If the river doesn't freeze there, the odds are very much in your favor that you'll be OK. Ben
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

PNW here so we tend not to get a lot of hard freezes that last more than a day or two. I leave the boat in year round. Oil change and zincs in the fall. For the winter I use the Caframo 'Pali' 400W bilge safe heater in the ER, and then in the cabin I have a davis dehumidifier and an electric heater that has an anti-freeze thermostat setting (40 degrees I think). I just make sure the bilge heater and cabin heater are on separate circuits so they don't trip a breaker if they both come on at the same time.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"

Return to “General Discussion”