• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

2006 28 TE Flush Deck Yanmar Removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Hendo1967
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

2006 28 TE Flush Deck Yanmar Removal

Post by Hendo1967 »

Wanted to ask the AOG if it's possible to pull the engine without cutting out some of the deck glass around the hatch? Have a cracked piston and need to pull the motor for overhaul (1100 hrs.)
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: 2006 28 TE Flush Deck Yanmar Removal

Post by Carl »

Wow! What were the symptoms, any idea? Not sure about your question, but I’m thinking after removing the sea strainer and fuel filter, you could remove the motor mount bolts from the stringers which would allow the motor to shift enough to the starboard side of hole for removal. Or maybe just remove the after cooler, turbo, and fuel filter to allow enough room to lift and then shift to starboard for removal. Please report back how this works out, as others (like me) may need to do the same one day.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Hendo1967
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

Re: 2006 28 TE Flush Deck Yanmar Removal

Post by Hendo1967 »

We started with a high temp alarm about 2NM from the marina. Temp came down to 180 (normal operating) while running under 2000 RPM. Trouble shot all intakes, strainers, hoses, etc. All good and pulled the water pump/impeller. The impeller looked ok but recommended at 1000 hrs so replaced the entire pump with a JMP. Seatrial and subsequent 4 NM mile runs under load were all normal, below 180. Ran it out to track Blue Fin and started to hear a strange sound (like a helicopter overhead), no overheating or alarm but turned around. At 3000 RPM, temp would push past 180 and then come down after backing down to 2000 RPM. After more troubleshooting and a call to BigBlue Ocean Marine in FL(GREAT GUYS)..were told we had a bad impeller. The gasket would spin free under load from the spindle.....they shipped us 2 new impellers. Replaced and subsequent sea trial....was all running well and looked like we had a new operating normal at 170. Then the knocking began. Sure enough, cracked piston. Mechanic and all interested parties believe the combination of load, elevated heat and age, were all factors.
Will keep updating and post pics of work along the way for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”