• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Good windless

Larry Ramos
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westport

Good windless

Post by Larry Ramos »

I am looking at installing a windless on my 28TE
Anyone have a good windless installed?
Any problems or likes about them?
Any recommendations ?
Larry & Nancy
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Good windless

Post by Tree »

I had one here on my boat in the U.K. The only reason I changed was customs delaying getting parts here.

Tom at Good Windlass couldn’t help more when I needed parts, usually it was the brush caps needed replacing and on one occasion the entire motor unit. Parts were easily available for a 20 year unit and would be sent to me on a 3 day delivery, only to be held up by British customs up to 6 weeks!

I finally retired mine since the gypsy was worn and needed a quicker solution to repairs and couldn’t cope with U.K. customs hanging on to parts when I needed them urgently.

Good low profile powerful unit, the only thing I did was for a larger overload switch as the unit would trip out due to the heavy tides where I fish. I’ll admit I did abuse mine in the 8 years of my ownership by pulling the full weight of the boat in tides up to 4 knots when hauling the anchor.

When I did remove the unit I had some corrosion issues but in my ownership I never once serviced the mechanics of it, just replaced electric parts - I finally swapped it out for a Lewmar profish simply as Lewmar is a client of mine and I could get parts the same day from the factory here if need be. After three years I’ve not needed to do anything with it but would have a Good again if we had a U.K. distributor.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Toolmanbob1993
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston

Post by Toolmanbob1993 »

https://www.lonestarwinches.com/product/gx2-hd/

I just went with this,had a lewmar and just got tired of having to feed the line in.

We fish in 200ft..
2000 28 TE “Slow Ride”
Mark Laurnen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes, WA

Post by Mark Laurnen »

Hi Larry! I have a Good F850 on my boat, original equipment. I did replace the motor a few years ago. More recently I added deck control foot switches, and changed it from free fall to power out. When I purchased the boat I updated the line to Good factory 600’ with 40’ chain. When retrieving, it is important to keep the line from stacking up in the locker below. The tension of the line hanging below the unit easily keeps the incoming line engaged, but the Gypsy will slip if there is no line hanging below. Tom always answers the phone, always has the answer or advice, and always works expediently … basically first class customer service. I can strongly endorse both the product and the company.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”