• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

venting portable a/c

GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

venting portable a/c

Post by GoFish »

Occasionally when it gets really hot or if we are staying on the boat for multiple days, we will use a portable A/C unit (the kind on wheels) in the helm of our 31TE while at dock. It works great, but because we vent it out of the bottom on the drop curtain in the back of helm its kind of in the way. I'd like to have it off to the side at the foot of the captains chair next to the throttles, but trying to vent it out of the side window is a bit of a pain due to it being on an angle. Is there any reason why I can't just pop off the access plate under the throttle and feed the vent hose through there and down to the bilge? Obviously that area gets pretty hot from the engines when we are underway so I assume the heat of the warm air isnt an issue, but is there anything associated with blowing warm air in that area that could cause a problem?

Go Fish!
31 TE
Solomons MD
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: venting portable a/c

Post by REBMystic »

I can't imagine it would cause a problem. Like you said - get's warm underway. There are the large vents in the engine room that go to the outside.
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

The only thing that would bother me is adding all that extra humidity to an already humid area
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

I don’t see any problem with it personally. As long as no moisture is dripping from it. You may notice a little more heat in the head because that wall isn’t exactly sealed. By the way, I see you are in Solomon’s. You should run up to knapps narrows for the rendezvous 9/20. I will have my pilothouse ac install done by then for you to check out
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
GoFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GoFish »

Wish we could make the rendezvous, but we will be out of town. I'd love to check out that pilothouse install -- been flirting for years with trying to make something like that work!
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

If you ever make it up to Chestertown you are welcome to stop by
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp