• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

TE 28 flushdeck impeller access

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

fisham
Gold Member
Gold Member

TE 28 flushdeck impeller access

Post by fisham »

I have a 2003 Te 28 Flush deck and have yet to figure out how to access the impeller in the front of our Yanmar 315. As Albin neglected to put a hatch under the companionway steps! I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if so how they have resolved it?? It seems that it is a significant oversight in the design.
tiramisu te28
belfast, maine
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

My 2006 came with an access panel below the steps as you suggest. Sounds like it is time to get the saw out!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
JoeH
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: TE 28 flushdeck impeller access

Post by JoeH »

fisham wrote:I have a 2003 Te 28 Flush deck and have yet to figure out how to access the impeller in the front of our Yanmar 315. As Albin neglected to put a hatch under the companionway steps! I wonder if anyone else has this problem and if so how they have resolved it?? It seems that it is a significant oversight in the design.
I had the same problem with my 2004 Flush deck. You will have to cut out your own access panel as did I. Hwever be very careful since you have wiring and fuel lines behind. It will take considerable time since you not only have fiberglass to cut but plywood and sound deadening insulation to contend with. While doing the cutting make sure you keep viewing the process through an access port in the 2nd berth area to the left of the galley. Not only will you now have access to ythe water pump impeller but also your belts. I found out the hard way when I broke a belt 2 yrs ago and had to pay a mechanic $600 to make the repair most of which was for labor since at that time it was almost impossible to have access to the engine front. After I made the cuts I made my own panel out of marine plywood. I stained it and it came out quite good. By the way Albin promised they would supply the access panel. Guess what - as usual they never came through. but that's a mute point now.

Good luck,

Joe H
fisham
Gold Member
Gold Member

access panel to the engine

Post by fisham »

It is nice to know we are not alone with this problem. It is hard to imagine how such an obvious design flaw was not caught when designing the flush deck. We were also promised help by Albin which is moot now that they are closed for business. We have, however a slightly different issue than placing the hatch under the companionway. Our TE28 came with an automatic fire extinguishing system mounted with all its cables etc. right in the place where the hatch would be placed. Sooo... we are thinking of placing the hatch on the panel between the companionway and the quarter berth, it is that sort of oblique section. There is nothing behind it but insulating foam. I just hope it will give appropriate access to the areas we need to address on the engine.
We love our Albin, but I must say there are some issues surrounding the design, placement and access to the engine that are seemingly the result of an 'oh well lets just put it there and figure out how to fix it later' !! For example, we had a significant issue with replacing the large zinc on the stbd side of the engine, for which we had to create an opening on the small shelf next to the berth in order to gain access.
tiramisu te28
belfast, maine
fisham
Gold Member
Gold Member

correction!

Post by fisham »

That is the PORT side of the engine!! It must be winter in Maine!!
tiramisu te28
belfast, maine

Return to “Albin Maintenance”