• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil evacuation Yanmar 315

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

FIVEPLAY
Deckhand
Deckhand

Oil evacuation Yanmar 315

Post by FIVEPLAY »

One of my diesel mecahnic's first comments when he looked over my Yanmar 315 was that he was surprised that there was no port to easily drain the oil. He recommended, rather matter of factly, that he add one in the spring. Looking over this site it seems as if others have actually had this done. I am curious if anyone knows how this would effect the warranty on the Yanmar?
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oil change

Post by RicM »

I use an electric pump out that goes down the dipstick tube. Next time I'm having work done I plan on adding a new oil plug with a drain feature. You still need a way to get the oil out though. There's not much room for a pan under the engine.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Here's what we installed in my 6LP. This was purchased through a Yanmar dealer. I would contact Mack Boring to discuss the effect on warranty but do not see that it would be an issue but only MB could confirm that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS,
Do you just plug the other end or did you install a valve? I'm assuming you installed an electric pump. (I can't remember the brand name of mine)
The problem with mine is that the previous owner installed a valve under the pan. I have to crawl under, connect the hose, open the valve, connect the other end of the hose to the pump.
Last time I just let a mechanic do it. Too much crawling under for these old, I mean mature, bones. 8)
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

John, I have a portable pump & bucket setup so I will continue to utilize that via this setup rather than removal through the dipstick tube. The end of the house has a fitting in it to cap it off. I don't see the need to install a pump in the boat for the few times a season the oil is changed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
robonurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Oil removal for Yanmar

Post by robonurse »

Gee, that sounds like way too much work. The Yanmar 6LP has a tube that runs from the bottom of the dipstick tube down into the oil pan. I use a "Big Boy" oil vacuum pump. The larger hose supplied with it simply fits over the end of the dipstick tube and sucks that old oil right out. The drawback is that the can supplied doesn't hold all of the oil that the Yanmar requires so I carry a 5 gallon bucket to pour my drain oil into. Two cycles with the Big Boy will empty the pan. It is clean, neat and fairly fast.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”