• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28 TE transom door retrofit

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

OnAbt4
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Unalaska, AK

28 TE transom door retrofit

Post by OnAbt4 »

I have been looking a purchasing a 28 TE, and have noticed that the older models do not have a transom door. I really, really like this feature, as just hopping over the gunnel is getting a bit more difficult these days. I have not had first-hand viewing of the stern section of the older models, but was wondering if one could be retrofitted with a transom door - like the new models?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 28 TE transom door retrofit

Post by Norseman »

This has been discussed before.
Yes, everything is doable..
For some reason $2,000 sticks in my mind: Either a guess on the cost, or an estimate, any fiberglass guy or a shop can do it.
Hopefully it will look good after the surgery.. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

Ken Hilton, who owns Standish Boatyard in Tiverton, RI, is a tremendous resource, when it comes to the Albins........I have met him several times, and as my boat does not have a transom door, he told me he could put one if I wanted, which as I get a bit older, may be a viable option, no idea of the cost, but certainly can be done. hope this helps.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Post by Jkraft »

For some reason I remember it being closer to the 5-7k range, but I could be wrong
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
OnAbt4
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Unalaska, AK

Post by OnAbt4 »

Yes, looking at previous posts revealed a few owners either desiring or actually doing this, but not so much in any details and follow-through with the process. I guess my big concern is structurally. I'm not an Albin owner (yet), so I'm not familiar with the design of transom. If anyone out there has pics of before and after, that would be great.
Thanks for the responses.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”