• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE Transom name removal

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

28TE Transom name removal

Post by Mike Monte »

The transom name (a white decal) on my boat had dried and become severely dog-eared so I decided to change it. It's been on there for 10+ years so I guess that it's time.
My boat's hull is deep-blue.
Yesterday I removed the decal and buffed the entire transom really well. What is left is not a shadow (so to speak) but a raised area under each letter's former location - the color is even on the whole transom, just a raised area for each letter. I can actually feel an ever-so-slight ridge in the outline of the former decals/letters.

For those of you that have changed/refreshed your boat's (decal), has this been an issue, and if so, how did it resolve?
(Maybe I'm just a bit over-thinking this as I know what the former name/font was and I am fixating on it....)

Any advise/thoughts?

Mike M
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: 28TE Transon name removal

Post by Norseman »

Yes, been there, done that.
Same raised letters (and logos)
Had the boat detailed by a pro, including wet sanding, compound, buffing, wax etc..shortly after I purchased it October 2017,
The new transom name covered up the old name, no issues, invisible now.
On the aft sides of the pilot house, where the Albin logos was, there are some evidence of the raised letters, but you have to look with a microscope now to see anything:shock:
8640CFDF-BD37-4484-84AB-8D5A527B80CF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: 28TE Transom name removal

Post by Ambler27FC »

Looking very close in just the right light I can still find parts of the previous two names for my boat. It would take some risky sanding to fix, but I usually only notice when waxing the hull. Even without buffing any color difference disappeared in a year in the sun.
Lobstabuoy
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Post by Lobstabuoy »

I had the same issue with my blue hull. After the original name was removed, the surface hadn't oxidized and was slightly raised and pristine. I wet-sanded the gelcoat last season including the transom, which helped blend the surfaces, but despite additional compounding and polishing, a keen eye can still make out the former name...
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Sanding it smooth with a long board would be the only option. Just go slow or hire a professional
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “Albin Maintenance”