• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cushions and Canvas, huge refit ahead—

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Cushions and Canvas, huge refit ahead—

Post by srcody617 »

I have an Albin 27 FC in the back yard—
Not sure how it got there. Maybe in a weak moment. But anyway, I’m embarking on a ‘round the world refit. Prior to launch. Stem to stern.
First things first; hull, engine. Rudder—
Hull was sound, surveyor said. OK. Though I started the engine twice, prev owner wasn't comfortable with running it. When i changed the 10-yr old oil, and let it settle, i found antifreeze infiltration. (Lehman 4D61)
So there’s THAT. I have just re-torqued the head with hopes of a quick fix.
When i examined closely the block, I found the forward port motor mount busted off (a cast iron tab) Bad news.
Rudder is fibreglass, and there’s a 16in vertical crack on the leading edge, with the crank linkage totally rust covered. I’ll have to destroy it to properly drop the rudder to fill and glass in the crack. I see some have extended the leading edge a few inches for more control and better balance.
Finally the skeg is missing but the prev owner was ready with a stout white oak replacement and the stainless lower pivot for the rudder post. That work will be straightforward. I’ve transferred the 3 boltholes from the keel and will set up the wood nicely in place, with bedding. You all appreciate the comfort in New England waters of not snagging pot warps round the screw!!
Almost all the cushions and covers were missing! No Bimini, but i have the frame and most of the canvas side pieces. Fragile isinglass, Zippers gone (1985 vintage) but present, at least.
No captains chair, no mates chair either. Lots of window and trim issues. On and on...
So I’m not totally crazy, but I'm in DEEP here. I’m looking for all the advice i can muster. Recommendations needed for lots of items, some now, some later.
Im fortunate to be retired, so there’s time. I also have a 19ft diesel launch, for the fun days on the actual water.
Right now, I'm thinking about the Cushions and the Bimini. Any old and surplus pieces out there? Just to get started with? For patterns? Willing to buy anything.
Hull no. 484 I’m in Boston proper. —Stuart
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Cushions and Canvas, huge refit ahead—

Post by jashmen »

YIKES! Ok I would suggest a detailed list of everything needing work, then prioritize! Cushions should be way down compared to possible blown engine and broke mount. I would suggest a mechanic do some leak tests and make sure it isn't blown, and how to fix the mount. If that works out, then work on keel, rudder and steering. And you might want to get the fuel looked at. Good luck! Keep us informed.
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate

Post by srcody617 »

Thanks for your response. Cushions and Bimini ARE way down on the list. But i anticipate the longest lead time. I don't even have a list of dimensions yet.

The top priority is the engine, yes. But it’s too cold right now so I'm awaiting a warm day to set the valve clearances.
Other than that, it’s the rudder and steering gear. I’ll probably have to dig a hole in the ground to drop it for removal (see my crack on the leading edge comment)
I’m concerned about what i have to do to GIT ‘ER IN THE WATTA!! —But i’m not rushing it either. There would be mounting the transducer for my Garmin 740S, for example. Also, i was given a diesel heater, which had never been installed.
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate

Post by srcody617 »

Fuel tank may need cleaning for sure. For now, have serviced the Racor, and will work out of a 5-gal jerrican. For now. But slow going. I have rigged a way to recirculate RV antifreeze thru the raw water loop, collecting it from the exhaust and pumping it back aboard.
Lots of teak trim was removed, and had strayed. Aft cabin doors removed. Luckily i think i have most of this trim.
I know how huge this looks—but i could not let her go to the scrapper.
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Post by jashmen »

I love people willing to save boats. I see too many rotting away. Trust me, I know about bimini lead times - it took me nearly three years to get all the parts from an enclosure I had done on my last boat. It would have been faster to do it myself lol.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome. It sounds as if you know what you are doing, and there are many many people here who have been in the same or similar situation (me included, but unlike others I may be mainly clueless). That said, I've done a few things to our 27 to keep 'er runnin' on top of the water column, so don't hesitate to post. Someone will have an answer.
I'm sure you know about American Diesel in Kilmarnock as a source of knowledge, if not spares, for your 4D61. There is also a pretty good library here on AOG with owners manuals etc. It's a real workhorse of an engine, and with TLC may outlive the last cockroach. Some say it's noisy, but I think it's just trying to get attention. (and thousands of Paris cab drivers can't be wrong)

Love to see some before and after pix of this great project you've undertaken.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate

Post by srcody617 »

[im
D11090E6-BEDE-4541-BF1E-AC8AD2CFD192.jpeg
g][/img]Yes!! Photos and a bit of narration.
1st photo shows the skeg attachment point. Prev owner installed the brass drain plug. Note prop not installed.
2nd photo shows leading edge of cracked F/G rudder.
3rd photo is looking up at keel shoe where the fwd end of oak skeg will fit. 3 stainless bolts, recessed, will be received by the 3 holes where 3/8” -16 threads are found. I’ve located the holes using bolts that I’ve turned sharp points on. Screwed the bolts in and jacked the wood up to pick up impressions of the points. Will drill the three 3/8” holes with precision on drill press. I guess I’ll bed the contact with 5200, but I might use another compound. I’ll smooth it all off and barrier coat it.

See the rudder crack? I wonder if water got down along the shaft and froze. I can’t think of another reason that would occur. I feel that I’ve got to remove the rudder and run a penetrating epoxy in to fill every nook.

Documenting this project feels like an exercise that would, as well, clarify my thoughts. And help me proceed with common sense and everyone’s advice.
It may take me awhile to drop in photos. Here’s a test.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Off to great start. I just know there are a lot of 27 owners out there who will be following your thread .
Speaking as one who inherited a large SS rudder, might it not be more effective to replace the existing with an extended SS job, and have done with it?
BTW - what year is your boat, and hull #?
Second BTW - Can we see pix of your launch? I'm a huge launch fan.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Congrats on the new project. Our Mary Jo went through a big redo, most of it documented on this forum when Cap Vic had her.

Once she is sea worthy, just remember to use her and not get too focused on perfecting her. On difficult days, just remember “anything made by man, can be fixed by man” ....good luck!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate

Post by srcody617 »

Oh yes! I’m keen to get in the water and won’t overdo it. I’ll try to keep the news coming, with photos.
Doug: I think ‘84 / ‘85. Hull no. is 484. Did I say 4D61 engine?
I had a massive scare with the engine, which emitted white smoke for awhile. I could NOT find a mechanic who knew enough to make me comfy.. finally i got a guy on the phone who said “Run it for awhile”. This was after i re-torqued the head and re-set valve clearances. So i ran it for awhile and the smoke cleared up. I could not locate a head gasket nor do i know the Peugeot part number for a gasket set.
Now that the engine seems OK, (after 16 years on the hard), I’m hoping the transmission is OK. The fluid looks good, not clouded or burned, but who knows? When i went in and out of gear, I had a moment when the shaft would not engage.
All this testing is while on the hard. I’m recirculating cooling raw water by collecting the exhaust in a 50 gal drum, and the engine pumps it back into the intake very nicely thru a garden hose. There’s a little loss through the cutlass bearing, as exiting water is fed there for cooling. No problem.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

. When i changed the 10-yr old oil, and let it settle, i found antifreeze infiltration.
10 year old oil..? :shock:

The engine may be junk after those 10 years.
(Corrosion, acid, etc, etc.)

Hopefully free boat, or the seller paid you to take the boat of his hands. :shock:
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
LISoundLovers
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Niantic

Post by LISoundLovers »

I’m so impressed with your refurbishing goals- looking forward to seeing the end product on here someday!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”