• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fairing block longevity

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Fairing block longevity

Post by Mike Monte »

Hello:
My 28TE launched two days ago and I have noticed that the transducer fairing block has developed a leak.......

I had my marina's head mechanic check it out. He confirmed that there is a leak and recommended that the boat be hauled and the fairing block be re-bedded.
The leaking fairing block was installed 3 years ago by my marina.... (The boats original fairing block/transducer was installed in 2001 and there never was a leak....)
While prepping/painting the bottom of my boat (last week) I did not notice any trauma (nicks, scratches,dings, etc.) on the fairing block although I noticed a small space between the transducer and the fairing block in which I put some life caulk to keep debris from getting lodged in it. (I assumed that the space may have developed when the marina power-washed the hull when the boat was hauled in the fall.)

My question: Is it reasonable for me to assume that the marina will cover the cost of the haul/rebedding since they installed it and the install has failed?

Your thoughts/experience?
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Re: Fairing block longevity

Post by Albesaurus »

I would say no since anything could have happened in the 3 years but i would still try. If they are smart and looking to protect their reputation on workmanship. They will do it with no charge. I gesture like that goes a long way in my opinion. And how much would that actually cost them... couple of hundred bucks in labor??
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

I went down to my marina today and found my boat out of the water so I guess that the marina is going to re-bed the block....
Before the boat was hauled I set up my electronics and turned them (both the depth/temp and radar/gps units) on -and- took a picture of both units (clearly visible in the one-picture is the depth/temp gauge display working as normal with the time and date visible on the gps). Not to play devil's advocate but in the event that the depth/temp unit doesn't work after the fix........I'll have proof that it was working prior to hauling.
btw:
I followed up with an email to the head mechanic recapping what he saw when he viewed the leak....
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I've had wood fairing blocks last 14 years without any leaking. Lots of 5200 and they should last a very long time.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “Albin Maintenance”