• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Can't find the source of a leak into the cabin

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Can't find the source of a leak into the cabin

Post by Mike Ebert »

I have a small but frustrating leak that drains out from underneath the drawers located to the next to (outside and left of) the head door. This is on a 31TE. I spent four hours on Saturday trying to find it. It is either coming through the hull-deck seam that is under the rubber rub rail or possible through the screw holes in the rail stanchons or cleat.

Other than trying to figure out where it is by holding the hose on different spots, does anyone have any better idea as to how to locate it?
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Finding a leak like that can be frustrating. Has the gunnel ever taken a hard bang such as a concrete dock or a pile. Did it to my 27. Water, not much, seeped behind everything. It took awhile to find the source of the leak.

As you suspect it could also be faulty workmanship at the plant in fastening & sealing the hull/deck.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I had a similar problem. The post is a little verbose with some typos, but it should make sense. Put a steady and sure hose on all suspected areas to trouble shoot and inspect.

viewtopic.php?t=83&highlight=port+leak

We ended up pulling the rub rail and re-bedding the joint in the problem area only. A half days work with 2 guys and a few cold brews!
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. It sounds identical to what I am seeing on my boat. I think I will try a silicone bead around the rub rail and if that doesn't cut it, it will have to come off. Was it a big hassel to take off the rub rail without mucking it up?
Thanks again.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

A big hassle? No! But it was a hassle.....after all it's a boat :shock: :D

You should test it with a hose first to verify if it is the rub rail.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We also have a mysterious leak that I can't seem to find the source of. It only leaks when the rain is very heavy, and the water just drains into the bilge where it is pumped out. It is damaging some wood in the process, but it's not structural and it's already damaged, so I figure we'll just replace it when it gets really bad. My solution has been to simply remove the carpet from the boat in the winter and turn a blind eye.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Mariner wrote:We also have a mysterious leak that I can't seem to find the source of. It only leaks when the rain is very heavy, and the water just drains into the bilge where it is pumped out. It is damaging some wood in the process, but it's not structural and it's already damaged, so I figure we'll just replace it when it gets really bad. My solution has been to simply remove the carpet from the boat in the winter and turn a blind eye.
Wow, that surprises me. There's a rumor round these parts that your meticulous.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

:roll:
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

I had a cabin leak on the port side. After many hours of diagnosis it turned out to be the rear porthole. I pulled out, re-caulked it and have not had a problem since.

Ts
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Saltdog,
I want to re-seal several portholes. What can you tell me about what is involved in removing and resealing. I have SS ports on a 2006 28TE. The survey performed prior our purchase indicated a slightly higher moisture content on the port side just below the portholes and I have seen other signs of water. I just don't know what I'm getting into once I start removing whats there.
thanks,
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

I wish I had stainless portholes, those look really nice. Mine are plastic. We finally diagnosed the leak before I actually purchase the boat and the seller agreed to fix it. As a result we had the yard do it. It didn't look like there was much to it though and it did'nt take them much time.

Prior to that I contacted the porthole manufacture and I think I may still have a diagram of the window... I will check when I get home.

As I recall you just unscrew the two halfs and take half out from the inside and the other half from the outside. I remember him telling me to make sure that I clean out all of the old silicone sealer before replacing and resealing the portholes. I will see what I still have on this in my file.

TS
Saltdog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Saltdog »

Furball, I thought I had a diagram of my ports, but apparently I do not. As I said mine are Plastic and manufactured by Beckson. I don't know if Beckson makes SS ports or not but here is a link that should help you:

http://www.beckson.com/trouble.html

TS
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Thanks TS
I want to make sure I have the items needed to put it back together once I take it apart. I want to make sure there is not a gasket or seal I need to order ahead of time and frankly I haven't spent any time really looking into it. I just know it's on the list of things to do. Sounds like, easy does it when taking them out, reseal with silicon and screw them back together. Much to simple to be correct. This is shaping up to be an all day job as usual.
John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP

Return to “Albin Maintenance”