• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4D61 valve adjustment

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

4D61 valve adjustment

Post by motthediesel »

I've taken out my injectors for cleaning/calibration at a local diesel shop, so this is a good time to adjust the valves. The engine in this state has no compression, so it makes baring-over and positioning easy.

This is real old-school mechanic stuff, and I have to admit that I haven't done it in years. Most of the engines I've worked on over the last 20 years or so either have hydraulic lifters, or are adjusted with buckets & shims, so I was looking forward to this.

It started with a surprise -- the hex nuts holding down the valve cover were --- 7/16"? What? Not metric? Then, I tried the lock nuts on the stem adjusters -- they're 7/16" too! What the hell, I thought France invented the Metric System -- sacre blu!

Anyway, it went fine and I had no problems. The Lehman manual specifies a range of (cold) clearances, .006 to .008 for intake, and .010 to .012 for exhaust. My Haynes engine manual, however, says just .006 intake and .010 exhaust. A few of mine were a little loose, and I set them all to a slight "drag" fit at the lower number. As was my old practice, I rolled it over four times, re-checking and adjusting till I was satisfied they were all in spec.

I have no idea when that job was done last on my 1800hr engine, so it was good to do, even though it was running fine. One less thing to worry about. It is a mystery to me though why this engine rolled off the line in Lille with those SAE fasteners on it. I wonder how many other surprises this thing holds?

Tom
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: 4D61 valve adjustment

Post by dkirsop »

7/16" and 11mm are the same size as far as wrenches are concerned but the threads aren't the same.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

I didn’t have an 11mm in the tool bag I had with me, so that could well be it. I didn’t gauge the threads. Most of my wrenching is VW/Porsche or Japanese, and they seldom use 11mm, but this is my first trip to France, so maybe?? :D

Tom
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

10,13,15,17mm and I forget the flywheel...1-7/16". That about covers it for VW. Better get the rest for any of these Euro engines. Oh, yes. 36mm.

Or a mid 80s US auto that couldn't make up its mind. Better get two sets of wrenches.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

WillieC wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:12 pm
Or a mid 80s US auto that couldn't make up its mind. Better get two sets of wrenches.
I'm well used to jumping back and forth between SAE and Metric, hell, I even have a Norton, so throw some Whitworth into the mix too. I'm also on my second Dodge/Cummins, and those are SAE truck, metric for the engine, you've got to be ready for anything. :wink:

Tom
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

motthediesel wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:20 am
WillieC wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:12 pm
[i I'm also on my second Dodge/Cummins, and those are SAE truck, metric for the engine, you've got to be ready for anything. :wink:
Tom
I worked at a company that made steering components for Chrysler/Dodge truck (specifically the steering intermediate shafts).
Everything since 1994 has been metric.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
srcody617
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston Mass.

Post by srcody617 »

I checked and reset my 4D61 valve clearances recently after re-torquing the head. Strangely, I didn’t notice wheather I used SAE or metric. I had to remove the rocker arm assembly to get at a few of the head bolts. If you do re-torque the head (and I think it’s a good idea), READ the instructions TWICE and follow the order of going from bolt to bolt. They advise backing off 1/4 turn on each bolt as you work thru. —Stuart

Return to “Albin Maintenance”