• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aftercooler maintenance

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Aftercooler maintenance

Post by efishnsea »

After advisement from SBM I removed aftercooler for cleaning and you see what I found. A lot of vanes from impeller and other crap. I was experiencing a little temperature creep on top end. Pretty sure this is why.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Aftercooler maintenance

Post by jleonard »

A little overdue for maintenance eh? LOL
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

This boat is new to me so lots to be learned.
Patrick5590
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Salisbury MA

Post by Patrick5590 »

I run (2) 370B's and send my aftercoolers from NH to CA (Seaboard Marine) to be refurbished every 3-4 years even though I spend most of the time in brackish water. I'm not so worried about temp creep but water getting past the seal and into the turbo and ultimately the engine.
The folks at Seaboard Marine have always steered me right since I bought the boat new in 2003. I also went with their transmission cooler and raw water pump.

Be sure to check the intake hose for additional pieces of impeller.
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

Be careful removing the core as to not bend the fine fins that wrap each tube. Use lots of grease when reassembling like they do at SBMar. If this system is new to you I would check the in-flow side of the transmission oil cooler too.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

efishnsea wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am After advisement from SBM I removed aftercooler for cleaning and you see what I found. A lot of vanes from impeller and other crap. I was experiencing a little temperature creep on top end. Pretty sure this is why.
Good job and very glad to see that you have the cooler off and on the bench.

Are you doing a full seawater side service .. HX, aftercooler and gear cooler?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
MadMoney
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seattle Washington

Post by MadMoney »

I just did the aftercooler, heat exchanger, transmission and oil cooler along with all new cooling hoses and clamps this winter on my Yanmar. I was pleasantly surprised how everything looked internally but a lot of that is due to the boat spending half the year in fresh water. Not a cheap job but it does provide peace of mind.

Anthony Warren
1999 28' Albin Mad Money
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Is that a red o-ring or did someone put it together with RTV? Could have been a band-aid for a corroded housing sealing surface.

I can tell from the underside of that cap that the core is the vintage when Cummins used the aluminum finned cores for the few years that it took for them to realize that they were inferior to the all copper ones. Be thorough in your inspection and testing of it as it's track record is not a good one.

Based on the looks of things a new aftercooler might be in your future... but hopefully not.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by efishnsea »

Rob you saw the red o ring but thats just what it was just an o ring not in great condition. the top one was better. Got it all apart and cleaned up very nicely. pressure test was good. Removed the fuel cooler and changed the impeller while I was there. Impeller was in great condition in a new looking pump. So the broken vanes were in there for a while. Trying to do the right thing so my first season will be trouble free.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”