• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge pump keeps cycling

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Bilge pump keeps cycling

Post by rebuckley »

My lowest bilge pump in the boat sits just in front of my engine in the little bilge pump hole on an Albin 36 classic. The issue I'm running into is that the water in that little hole that the bilge pump sits in, it's just enough for the pump to push it up and barely get it to the through hull. So the pump will cycle push the water up, stop And over time the water slowly leaks back in until the pump cycle's on again. this will typically occur a good 15 or 20 times at least as the pump pushes a few drops of water over the hump every time and eventually the water coming back is low enough not to kick on the pump again. There is a joker valve to prevent the water from coming back but obviously it's not sealing 100%. Any suggestions would be more than welcome I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to fix this system.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
jashmen
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: bayville, nj

Re: Bilge pump keeps cycling

Post by jashmen »

I am guessing it has a built in switch. You might need to switch to one with a separate float switch.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

If you have some extra hose and a place to route it, perhaps add a siphon break somewhere mid-elevation. I would bet you don't have to stop all of the water from flowing back, just half or less.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

There are a number of ways to address this. Sometimes you can just move the float, pump or both. Another option is to install a switch with a timer that keeps the pump running for a few seconds after it would normally shut down (Whale has one). I have noticed that the electronic switches don’t always shut down after being in saltwater so a timer relay with a float is another option if you are getting seawater in the bilge.
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

So I think (think) I have a solution. I am resetting the pump this year - and under it I am adding a pick-up for the "Dry-Bilge system (like the one on Panbo's website) with a run dry pump on a timer - it should allow me to drain out the last 1/4 inch of water and maintain a bone dry bilge. I will come back with pics and results as I build it out.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

rebuckley wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:41 am So I think (think) I have a solution. I am resetting the pump this year - and under it I am adding a pick-up for the "Dry-Bilge system (like the one on Panbo's website) with a run dry pump on a timer - it should allow me to drain out the last 1/4 inch of water and maintain a bone dry bilge. I will come back with pics and results as I build it out.
DIY Dry Bilge system like in Panbo works great for me. Install pics in the thread below:
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 6&start=15
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Another solution would be to install a diaphragm style bilge pump. I did that on my old Mainship I to solve that problem.
The diaphragm acts as a check valve so water doesn't flow back into the bilge.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rebuckley »

GSSeattle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:13 pm
DIY Dry Bilge system like in Panbo works great for me. Install pics in the thread below:
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... 6&start=15
I like the hypervent idea - i was also thinking the sponge would eventually become a gelatinous mess.
Reb Buckley
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)

Return to “Albin Maintenance”