• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

UV protection for dinghy

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

UV protection for dinghy

Post by nebulatech »

Hi All!

I recently acquired a "new to me" West Marine dingy. I'm wondering if I need to buy the dingy-specific cleaners and UV protectants or if I can just clean it with soapy water and apply some automotive wax. Dingys aren't cheap, and I'm happy with the one I got, for what I paid for it. I would like it to last. I'm asking about the cleaners because a lot of these designer boat products are just regular household cleaners with a fancy name and price tag. (teak treatments are usually oxalic acid and TSP for instance). I'm a believer in good polymers. I typically use aerospace polymer wax for my boats. I'm not trying to cheap out per se. Sometimes the non boat-specific stuff works better.

I'm pretty sure the dingy is PVC, not Hypalon. I wiped a section with acetone and which removed pigment and the spot got a little tacky. But its an old dingy, so still not 100%. The other check I read about was to look at the inner fabric, so I'll have to do that this afternoon. The main reason I'm not sure is the rears of the pontoons are rounded. On the West Marine website, all of their PVC dingies have pointy ends on the pontoons, and the Hypalon ones are rounded. Then again, this is an old dingy with no date code or model number on the transom (at least not that I've found).

Thoughts and observations greatly appreciated!
20201115_162356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: UV protection for dinghy

Post by Plum76 »

I washed mine with dish soap and hot water, seemed to get most everything off. I worried more about UV from sitting on the buoy all summer, so I ended up with a cover for it, helps keep the leaves and debris out as well. It adds a few minutes to getting going, but I think lots less wear and tear from the elements.

Mine is also PVC, and I'm under the impression that extended UV exposure is the main culprit for degrading glue and PVC..

Jason
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I have a similar WM/Zodiac inflatable, which is usually "down" when not in use and in its bag or the garage. That said, this year I bought a "Ding" cover by Eevelle (yes it's on the Big A in various well-fitting sizes) which has performed well even towing. The only problem was with heavy rain which tended to fill the cover. However, putting an inflated Pilates ball under the cover raised it in the middle sufficiently enough to guide most of the water (and leaves etc) over the side.
Don't have a pic of this wondrous idea, sorry.

Just a little D#@n dish soap keeps the whole deal clean.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A dinghy with a Pilates bump. Can't wait to see that!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Oh, you will, next year. I promise. It actually looks like a late third trimester bump.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Thanks Jason and Doug for the tips!

Looking forward to seeing the 3rd trimester bump.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “Albin Maintenance”